Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone revamping ruination  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Stone revamping ruination
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:22:14 pm »
I am pretty impressed that they are making such dramatic changes to their lineup and discontinuing regulars. I wish other biggies would follow suit. Looks like this is a couple of weeks old but I was not aware...

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/goodbye-stone-ruination-ipa/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:28:14 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Stone revamping ruination
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:17:49 pm »
I am pretty impressed that they are making such dramatic changes to their lineup and discontinuing regulars. I wish other biggies would follow suit. Looks like this is a couple of weeks old but I was not aware...

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/goodbye-stone-ruination-ipa/
Ruination is by far my least favorite Stone Beer-all I tastes is the dish soap my parents washed my mouth out with when I cussed.  My daughter loves it but I can't drink it.  I like their other beers, especially the Smoked Porter, but to me Ruination is not something I would buy again.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:44 am »
Ruination used to be my go-to IIPA. Haven't had it in years. Definitely did not enjoy it as much the last time I had it. Agree with the "Dish Soap" thing (most likely out of date bottle). Good move on their part. Great name for a beer!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:56:08 am »
I'm looking forward to the new one. I'm betting the late hopping gets a pretty good bump up like their other reboots.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:42:42 am »
I haven't had ruination in quite some time although I used to really enjoy it when I was into very bitter IIPAs. I am not a huge fan of Stone beers but I do appreciate their approach.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:56 am »
I am a huge fan of Stone and almost everything they put out. I am also guilty of not spending a lot of time with their year round stuff. I really enjoy Ruination, Levitation, and Pale Ale, but had not really bought any of them in bottles anytime recently. I will miss Ruination the most of the 3, but did find some Pale Ale after hearing about its upcoming changes. I forgot how much I enjoy that brew and will surely miss it as well. I guess I have mainly been focused on drinking local recently, and with my own bottles at home, have not been buying many bottles. i will be interested in trying out the new versions of both of them.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:24:16 am »
Yeah, gotta give breweries like Stone And SN credit for the foresight to flex with changes in tastes and styles. That's staying ahead of the game IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:35 am »
Yeah, gotta give breweries like Stone And SN credit for the foresight to flex with changes in tastes and styles. That's staying ahead of the game IMO.

Yeah I think just the willingness to change their staples is great. I get the idea of a flagship beer but some don't make it to that classic stage like a SN Pale Ale (not sure if that is actually their 'flagship').

Fat Tire is an example of a flagship that has run its course for me. I wish they would replace that beer. I understand what it has meant for their company BUT I would prefer something else in its place. Maybe it is a lot more popular than I realize? I actually like NB quite a lot and some of the newer stuff they are doing but think 'revamping' some of their older lineup is much needed. They were very late to the hop revolution party which is not a problem that Stone had obviously.

kind of off topic...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:43:19 am by goschman »