Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Camp Hoppy Lager  (Read 3303 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Beer Camp Hoppy Lager
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 05:33:44 am »
Okay, I looked this up.  The website says:

BITTERING HOPS  Palisade, El Dorado
FINISHING HOPS  Citra, Equinox

I know I don't like Equinox, although I do like Citra so maybe that carries the whole tune for me.

If it's the heaviness that concerns you, yeah, I don't remember how much body it seemed to have.  Nothing memorable for me.  But I guess it could be heavy on the crystal as they do list it (along with Munich and base malts).

Could also be the El Dorado?  A lot of folks say El Dorado can lead to strong sweet candy-like flavors.  I haven't tasted or used this one yet although I plan to try it in my IPA this summer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:37:42 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 05:46:08 am »
I also could just be wrong.  I'll give it four more tries, just to be sure. If after that I still don't like it, then so let it be written.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:41 am »
No I don't need 4 more. Maybe it is the hops. Now Im getting a nasty lingering artificial sweetener gak that I just cant get past. Made it about 6 oz into this one and had to dump.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 07:07:11 am »
Gawd I can't imagine having one this early. A regular beer yes but you gotta work up to one of these Hoppy Lagers. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:45 am »
Chalk me up as another one who did not care for this beer. It is good if you are trying to cut back on beer drinking, for one bottle of this and I was done for the night.

The whole IPL thing seems like a gimmick to me, anyway.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 12:29:17 pm »
Euge, I work nights right now. 5am is my 8pm

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »
Ah makes sense. I once had a job with similar hours. Internet filled in the post midnight post work decompression. And homebrew.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 03:25:46 pm »
The whole IPL thing seems like a gimmick to me, anyway.

Totally agree.  And not a very good gimmick either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »
I don't think the SN Hoppy Lager is stellar by any means, but I got it on tap and thought it was fairly good. At the same time, I don't see a hoppier lager as a 'gimmick', either. Just like any style, there are good ones and bad ones. I've brewed some IPL type beers and Imperial Pils that I loved. To each his own, I guess.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 04:51:02 pm »
I bought a six pack. Mine says 7% ABV and 55 IBU. I really like it. Frankly, for me it goes down like a session beer. I was shocked when I looked at the bottle and saw 7%. That explains the light head.  Even the 55 IBU surprised me. It doesn't taste that bitter to me. I do get a lot of pine and it is a bit sweet.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41:27 am »
I don't see a hoppier lager as a 'gimmick', either. Just like any style, there are good ones and bad ones. I've brewed some IPL type beers and Imperial Pils that I loved. To each his own, I guess.
To me, I guess the gimmicky part of IPL's is the idea that they're any different from an IPA. To me, an IPL is simply an IPA brewed with a lager strain. Since the majority of IPA's are brewed with Chico or something comparable, a lager strain is no different than using BRY-97, Conan, Pacman, WLP090, etc. - it's simply another yeast option. It doesn't really change any other aspect of the beer.

Personally, I really enjoy hoppy beers brewed with lager yeast. I brew a hoppy lager that is late-hopped with a lot of US/NZ hops at least once a year. Style-wise, it's probably a cross between a German Pils and an APA. Gimmick or not, it tastes good to me :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 01:47:45 am »
I don't see a hoppier lager as a 'gimmick', either. Just like any style, there are good ones and bad ones. I've brewed some IPL type beers and Imperial Pils that I loved. To each his own, I guess.
To me, I guess the gimmicky part of IPL's is the idea that they're any different from an IPA. To me, an IPL is simply an IPA brewed with a lager strain. Since the majority of IPA's are brewed with Chico or something comparable, a lager strain is no different than using BRY-97, Conan, Pacman, WLP090, etc. - it's simply another yeast option. It doesn't really change any other aspect of the beer.

Personally, I really enjoy hoppy beers brewed with lager yeast. I brew a hoppy lager that is late-hopped with a lot of US/NZ hops at least once a year. Style-wise, it's probably a cross between a German Pils and an APA. Gimmick or not, it tastes good to me :)

Yep, I agree.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:28 am »
I'm working on finishing a 12pk. I think it is just too damn hoppy. It's balanced and all but it might as well be Celebration. Not really refreshing- as sweet and cloyingly hoppy as it is.

I prefer the Summerfest.
I found and procured a twelve pack of their Summetfest this weekend. All but two, which I have hidden, were quickly consumed. A far superior beer when it comes to drinkability! It could be in my top 20 favorite ice chest fillers!

Just when I thought they couldn't brew anything dumber they do this, and TOTALLY redeem themselves.