Author Topic: WY2278 in a BoPils?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: WY2278 in a BoPils?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:23 am »
There was an event at the World of Beer bar chain that had unfiltered-unpasteurized PU kegs flown over. Dang that was a good beer. Guess what - no Diacetyl! I didn't get it, but a National Judge in the club who was next to me at the bar didn't get it either. It was a Czech Kellerbier, still hazy from the yeast, so the yeast had cleaned up. Another National level judge from the club who is hyper sensitive to the D says that he did not pick it up either.

For the production PU, it has been said it is cold crashed, so the yeast must be dropping before it is done cleaning up.

That's pretty interesting. Sounds like the slight diacetyl isn't so much desired in the Czech beers over there,  maybe stemming more from PU's (maybe too quick) crashing ?

I have read that the brewery has found out that the sales go up a little if they increase the diacetyl level in the production beer.

Edited to correct autocorrect.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:37:10 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:34 pm »
After tasting Lazy Monk's fantastic Pilsner WY 2124 has turned into my go to Bo Pils yeast.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
Thanks S. cerevisiae that is very interesting info.

I have noticed a big difference in lager yeasts over the years, including some fermenting fine at 48 while others just seem to insist that it be 51 or 52. Will be great to compare my notes to these genetics.

What's interesting is that 14C (57F) is stated as the current production lager fermentation temperature.  That's not the first time that I have seen that temperature stated in a paper.  I am fairly certain that AB ferments Bud at 57F with an S.G. of 1.080 (the final product is diluted with deaerated water at packaging).   That's amazing because ester levels quadruple when gravity doubles.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:00 pm »
There was an event at the World of Beer bar chain that had unfiltered-unpasteurized PU kegs flown over. Dang that was a good beer. Guess what - no Diacetyl!

I would be happy just to have the opportunity to taste non-skunked PU. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:03 pm »
There was an event at the World of Beer bar chain that had unfiltered-unpasteurized PU kegs flown over. Dang that was a good beer. Guess what - no Diacetyl!

Yeah, I'd love to try that.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:09 pm »
I have seen it in cans in a few places down here. Really lovely in the can.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 02:01:12 pm »

That unfiltered and unpasteurized PU came at a price, $8.50 for 500 ml, but it was happy hour, so I got it for $7.50.  ;D
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »
That unfiltered and unpasteurized PU came at a price, $8.50 for 500 ml, but it was happy hour, so I got it for $7.50.  ;D

Is that price supposed to make one happy? :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »

Is that price supposed to make one happy? :)
Got the super big happy hour discount. The beers were flown from Plzen. It was cheaper than me going on a trip to Plzen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:53 am »
They brought in one of those casks to a local WOB. I didn't get to try it but I do not seem to recall people stating that they were paying $8/pour. Then again, it's WOB so that price wouldn't surprise me too much.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:15 am »

Pilsner Urquell is in brown bottles now...I was surprised to find out it's not as, or at all, skunky.
Jesse

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 11:37:10 am »

Pilsner Urquell is in brown bottles now...I was surprised to find out it's not as, or at all, skunky.

Yes the 12 packs in the closed cardboard containers with the brown bottles are pretty darn good.

FWIW, when I visited the PU brewery in Pilsen  in 2002 and they gave you the tour with the old oak vat fermentors, and they pour you a small sample out of those vats, it has a little diacetyl.  I suspect the yeast in the keg that Jeff got cleaned up the diacetyl during the voyage over the pond.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »

Yes the 12 packs in the closed cardboard containers with the brown bottles are pretty darn good.

FWIW, when I visited the PU brewery in Pilsen  in 2002 and they gave you the tour with the old oak vat fermentors, and they pour you a sample out of those vats, it has a little diacetyl.  I suspect the yeast in the keg that Jeff got cleaned up the diacetyl during the voyage over the pond.

Jeff Renner, who is hyper-sensitive to Diacetyl, said he got no Diacetyl in the ones in Pilsen out of the vat last fall or the one at WoB. There is probably some batch variation, or how long the beer has been in the vat. If you got a hint, it was there.

The adds from PU and WoB showed wood kegs of beer. The reality was a 50 liter European SS sanke keg.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:53 pm »

Wow! That's nice to know. I have not purchased PU in years because of the packaging.  I rarely check the imported section of my local beer store these days because there is such a huge selection of fresh craft beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:24 pm »

Wow! That's nice to know. I have not purchased PU in years because of the packaging.  I rarely check the imported section of my local beer store these days because there is such a huge selection of fresh craft beer.
Every so often I will give it a look, but often I find beers past their best by dates and won't bother.