Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Value for Single Prop Burner  (Read 2746 times)

Derek

Best Value for Single Prop Burner
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:03:23 pm »
Looking to gather some equipment for my first AG brew and I'd like an affordable burner. Any experienced people know of a solid intro burner for <$30?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best Value for Single Prop Burner
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:23 pm »
I have and love the bayou classic sq14. $50 shipped from Amazon. I bought it 7 years ago and had a buddy add a wind shield about a year ago. My next burner, if I don't switch to electric, will likely be a blichmann. So quite and they really do sip fuel.

Bayou Classic Single Burner Patio Stove https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zaIdvb1YGPQFS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zaIdvb1YGPQFS

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:36 pm »
I've been using my Bayou Classic SP10 for almost a year now. Today it heated 4.5 gallons of 68F strike water to 173F in about 6 minutes.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000291GBQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1426989141&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51eK3C4bUsL&ref=plSrch
Here's one similar on Amazon.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:05:29 pm »

I have and love the bayou classic sq14. $50 shipped from Amazon. I bought it 7 years ago and had a buddy add a wind shield about a year ago. My next burner, if I don't switch to electric, will likely be a blichmann. So quite and they really do sip fuel.

Bayou Classic Single Burner Patio Stove https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zaIdvb1YGPQFS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zaIdvb1YGPQFS
Well played sir, well played. Just a hair quicker with that reply button.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:19:08 pm »
Both share the same burner. I like the square for my keggle, but the other burner has a built in wind shield.

Derek

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »
I was initially going to do smaller batches on the stove but my wife is tolerant of the hobby and although I may love the smell of boiling wort, she may not share that feeling for too long!

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:46:01 pm »

I was initially going to do smaller batches on the stove but my wife is tolerant of the hobby and although I may love the smell of boiling wort, she may not share that feeling for too long!
A friend of mine who is a professional chef once told me "always use a bigger bowl than you think you need". I think this applies to a lot of things in life, but even more so in this hobby. It never hurts to over engineer and plan ahead for those bigger batches you might be tempted into trying down the road. Cheers!

Derek

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:02:57 am »
That bayou burner may be the way to go. I just sold off the last of my DIY electronics stash so it's mash tun and burner time.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 06:41:55 am »
I actually ordered one of the SP10s last night. with amazon prime it was free two day shipping so a new burner for around 50 bucks. Yay! I had the SQ14 back in California and it was a great burner but I always wished I had a wind screen. I've got a flat bottom kettle so I don't really need the square stand like keggle users do.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:15 am »
I've been using the same SQ14 burner for countless batches over the last six years. I think I paid $44 for it on a clearance sale in the fall. I've done everything from one to ten gallon batches (though I've got to tell you it takes a while to boil 10-12 gallons on a cold, sub-freezing, windy day). My next one will probably be a Blichmann, but not until this one goes. I would say without any reservations that it is a good value and a fine first burner.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:49:52 am »
I actually ordered one of the SP10s last night. with amazon prime it was free two day shipping so a new burner for around 50 bucks. Yay! I had the SQ14 back in California and it was a great burner but I always wished I had a wind screen. I've got a flat bottom kettle so I don't really need the square stand like keggle users do.

You can make a wind screen pretty easily with a small piece of roof flashing from HD.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:25 am »

You can make a wind screen pretty easily with a small piece of roof flashing from HD.

i know. It's just a matter of overcoming the inertia.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:49 pm »
Looking to gather some equipment for my first AG brew and I'd like an affordable burner. Any experienced people know of a solid intro burner for <$30?
Back in December I bought a turkey fryer kit online from Walmart.  Has a really solidly built stand with a burner that looks exactly like the $100 Bayou model.  Included a 30 qt. aluminum pot w/lid.  $25 for the whole thing.  Works great!  I can't find the listing again, but check out turkey fryers at Wallymart.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Derek

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:42:59 am »
After doing some thinking i'm going to hold off on the burner for right now. I'm going to do a few stove batches on the order of 1.5 gal. (~1.2 gal. yield) to get my process down and then scale up.

When the time comes I will look into something worthwhile but for right now i'm going to concentrate on putting together my mini-mash tun for the stove (2 gal. stacker). For right now boiling and mashing in the kitchen will be the most convenient.

My shed is on it's way out and when I replace it I am going to build on slab and attach an open structure with a roof so I can brew outside in any weather.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 05:40:01 am »
When I started brewing I got one SQ-10 bayou classic burners. May not be the greatest fit for brewing, (more on that later) but it's one of those things that's just good to have.

Living in MD, blue crabs are a summer favorite, and these cookers are great for steaming crabs. Like cooking Thai and other Asian foods? Woks work so much better on a really potent burner. Deep fried turkey? Still haven't tried that one yet...

When I started brewing I did a few full volume extract kits, helped show me a few things I hadn't considered before I switched to all grain BIAB. I've since gone electric, and haven't looked back. No CO to worry about in my garage, and opens up a realm of possibilities for automation/control. I'm a full time engineering tech/EE student, and I'm steady drooling over ideas for control panel design. You may not have the space for an electric setup, but as a EE you'd probably get a kick out of it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.