Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: step infusion mash for german pils  (Read 6973 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: step infusion mash for german pils
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:14 pm »
[quote author=denny

When I do step mashes, I don't bother with calculations since I have yet to be able to find a way to do it accurately.  I just stir in boiling water until I hit the temp I'm going for.

Denny, does that include at dough-in?

No, using Promash and my experience I can get very accurate strike temps.  But after that, the cooler's design to eliminate temp differences means that no software I've tried has been able to accurately predict water (or decoction) volumes and temps.  At that point, it"s easier to just heat up more than I need and add as I watch the temp.
[/quote]

doh!  That was the obvious answer.  I would just need to calculate a low qts water to lbs grain ratio at dough-in, to ensure that I end up with an estimated full ending mash volume based on the number of step infusions.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:17:48 pm by brewsumore »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »
FWIW, when I did the same, I think I used ~ 1.3 qts/lb for the 145 rest, then slowly added the boiling water to raise to the 158 rest.
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:14 pm »
FWIW, when I did the same, I think I used ~ 1.3 qts/lb for the 145 rest, then slowly added the boiling water to raise to the 158 rest.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »

Sounds good.  The times I've done a 3 step, with a protein rest, I start at 1 qt./lb.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »

Sounds good.  The times I've done a 3 step, with a protein rest, I start at 1 qt./lb.

man that had to be a bugger to stir in well.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »

Now I left out the protein rest. Seemed like the verdict was mixed at best on protein rest, with malts being so modified. So I only rested @ 145 and 158F.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »

Now I left out the protein rest. Seemed like the verdict was mixed at best on protein rest, with malts being so modified. So I only rested @ 145 and 158F.

I've done a couple of protein rests with Avangard Pils and I got even better extraction than I usually would with that malt, which I think most of us are finding to be higher to begin with.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »

I've done a couple of protein rests with Avangard Pils and I got even better extraction than I usually would with that malt, which I think most of us are finding to be higher to begin with.

Thanks for the info. I've heard of protein rests even hurting head retention. Did you notice any issue there? I'm assuming not.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 04:44:46 pm »

Thanks for the info. I've heard of protein rests even hurting head retention. Did you notice any issue there? I'm assuming not.

Not at all, but the third rest @~158° might have offset that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »

Not at all, but the third rest @~158° might have offset that.

Cool, thanks !
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
Direct fired kettles with a false bottom and a pump to recirculate make step mashes pretty danged easy!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
If I put a schedule like this together for a Pilsner (I am loving the first one I brewed, cheating by tasting it after only 2 days of lagering: delicious but cloudy), if I start at 1.3qt/#, step up to around 2qt/#, should I throw in a mash out and basically go no sparge, or skip the mashout out and batch sparge accordingly? Just curious, as I would just like to try it out to compare for myself
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 11:19:50 am »
If I put a schedule like this together for a Pilsner (I am loving the first one I brewed, cheating by tasting it after only 2 days of lagering: delicious but cloudy), if I start at 1.3qt/#, step up to around 2qt/#, should I throw in a mash out and basically go no sparge, or skip the mashout out and batch sparge accordingly? Just curious, as I would just like to try it out to compare for myself

I'd skip the mashout and batch sparge.  Next time, I'd try it no sparge and compare.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 11:21:34 am »
Thanks Denny, just what I was thinking
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)