Author Topic: Frankenbrew  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
Frankenbrew
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »

AHA Brewer Profile: Frankenbrew

My name is Frank Chenette, and I hail from Quincy, Massachusetts. I was born here and I have lived my entire life here. I teach high school English. I am happily married to my soulmate, and I have two sons; the oldest is 29, and his brother is 27. We all love homebrew.

I have been brewing since 1994. My wife got tired of me talking about how I wanted to try brewing and bought me a kit. That was the best gift ever! Homebrewing has become my passion and my obsession, in the best way possible. I brewed from extracts for the first 15 years until I joined a brew club and saw how easy all-grain brewing is. That was in 2010. Now, I brew using whatever process fits the circumstances, mostly all-grain but sometimes partial mash, BIAB and Extract.

I am a proud member of The South Shore Brew Club where I have been a member since 2009. I have served in various roles in the six years I have been a member. I think that my biggest contributions have been my numerous presentations. My favorite presentation was “Formulating Your Own Beer Recipes,” for which I mostly resourced Ray Daniels’ Designing Great Beers and Papazian’s New Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Last year I won Best of Show out of 240 beers at my club's open competition for my version of Zymurgy’s Kumquat Wheat Ale. I love my brew club!

I don’t really have a homebrew disaster story. I’ve been pretty lucky. However, my younger brother got married in 2005, and I was the best man. I brewed a pale ale for the bachelor party, and when I was kegging it, the carboy broke. Not a disaster, but pretty disappointing.

My favorite styles change all the time. I used to love English bitters, but I can’t tell you how long it has been since I’ve brewed one. For a while, I couldn’t get enough saisons, but lately I’ve been into IPAs. With that said, there are very few beers that I don’t like. I guess I’m not much of a sour beer guy, but then again, once in a while one will hit the spot. Who knows, maybe that’ll be my next thing.

I am not a BJCP judge nor do I want to be. I enjoy stewarding at my clubs homebrew competition, but I don’t really like drinking beer for the sake of dissecting or over- analyzing minute flaws in beers. I would rather sit back and enjoy what is good about beer, even the ones that may be slightly flawed in some way. With that said, however, I am thinking of getting Cicerone certified, so that I can turn people on to good beer and maybe make a few bucks along the way.

I brew once or twice a month, usually outside if the weather agrees and inside if it doesn’t.  I mostly use English and German malts: English pale malt for medium to darker beers and German Pilsner for lighter styles. I mostly use English specialty malts no matter what kind of beer I’m making. I keep an inventory of malt, hops, and yeast on hand, so I can brew anytime the opportunity presents itself. I primarily use dry yeast, so that I can brew a style when the feeling hits me. I have Safale 04 and 05, Belle Saison, Safebrew Abbaye, and Saflager 34/70 on hand now. I do use liquid yeasts for certain beers such as WLP029 for Kolsch or AltBier and I will pickup a strain of Biere de Garde yeast when it is released seasonally. The hops I keep on hand are German Perle, Tradition, Hersbrucker, as well as East Kent Goldings. For American beers, I have Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra. With those, I brew just about anything I desire.

My system is very simple and frugal. I am a Dennybrew devotee, and a minimalist. I have a ten gallon Rubbermaid round cooler, three kettles varying in size from 5 gal. to 15 gal, a JSP fixed-gap maltmill, a copper immersion cooler, and a Bayou SQ14 burner. I firmly believe that a brewer can make excellent beer without fancy equipment.

With the exception of my club’s groupbrew, I mostly brew alone. I find that if I brew with a friend, I have a good time, but the beer does not come out as good. Brewing is a science, and it is hard work, therefore drinking or shooting the ship means you are not paying attention to either.

A couple of years back, I got a chance to go to Philly to attend the NHC. I went with 22 of my homebrew club buddies. It was a once in a lifetime, awesome time. I shook hands with many homebrew celebrities including Gary, Brad Smith, Sam Caglione, and more. But the one guy that I really was just awestruck at meeting was Charlie Papazian. I learned to brew from him and was reassured and soothed by his RDWHAHB so many times that I felt like I was being reunited with my lost father. For nearly a decade, it was just he and I brewing together. Well, I finally met him in Philly and had my picture taken with him. It was priceless, as they say.

I’m glad to be a part of the AHA, especially the forum. There are so many experts and knowledgable brewers here that I’m never really brewing alone. And as a bonus, there are so many people on the forum that are just plain nice. And that is the best thing about it.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:49:17 PM by Frankenbrew »
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenbrew
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »
Nice job on the profile, Frank !  You make a great addition here.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:53 AM »
right on man. welcome again. glad to have you.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:08 AM »
Welcome Frank! I too am a KISS brew believer. Cheers!

Derek

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
Gotta love when your wife gets you a kit and gives you the green light! That's how I got started.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Great to have you. Glad to see another Bay Stater, and one actually close to the bay to boot.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'm really glad to be among such knowledgeable and welcoming gentlemen. Looking forward to benefiting from your collective expertise and helping out if and when I can.
Frank C.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »
Always glad to meet a fellow long-time brewer. Hope we can share a brew at a conference or whatnot sometime...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »
Always glad to meet a fellow long-time brewer. Hope we can share a brew at a conference or whatnot sometime...

Sounds good to me.
Frank C.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
Thanks, guys! I'm really glad to be among such knowledgeable and welcoming gentlemen. Looking forward to benefiting from your collective expertise and helping out if and when I can.
...and ladies.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:42 AM »

...and ladies.

Yeah, there are some of us ladies around here too! It's not just a he-man woman haters club. ;)

Glad to have you!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »

...and ladies.

Yeah, there are some of us ladies around here too! It's not just a he-man woman haters club. ;)

Glad to have you!
Hurray for girls!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »

...and ladies.

Glad to have you!

Oops! I get in trouble at work for this habit of calling everyone, even my female students, guys. No slight intended. Thanks for the warm welcome in spite of my lack of sensitivity.  :o
Frank C.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

Oops! I get in trouble at work for this habit of calling everyone, even my female students, guys. No slight intended. Thanks for the warm welcome in spite of my lack of sensitivity.  :o

I work in construction for large industrial projects... it happens on the daily IRL so I'm totally used to it. :) I've also heard more varieties of cursing than one should hear in a lifetime, so my sensitivity is mostly gone!

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
I think it's fairly common at work to informally address a group of people as guys. Females included. Maybe not at the executive level.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis