Author Topic: Frankenbrew  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenbrew
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
That is why I say folks.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
I prefer "you people"

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
I prefer "you people"
That is why I say folks.

I'm gonna go with "folks."

I feel that if I say "you people," it sounds like I'm making assumptions about you, like I know you better than I do. It's just a tone thing. That's what it sounds like to me.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »
To me "you people" sounds divisive and accusatory. But I guess in context if one is in a supervisory role then it may be appropriate. Then again I'm a poor manager of people... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
6 of the 10 people I manage are women and I have just become accustomed to using gender neutral salutations etc. Also, where I work tries to be welcoming to everyone, including transgender people, so I am also learning to not use gender specific pronouns with people I just meet.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »
I'm a fan of All y'all. or folks.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
Frank, you may just be the longest all-grain holdout that I have ever met.  ;D   

I understand where you are coming from with respect to the BJCP.  What makes being a BJCP judge worth it is the community. You will not find a more dedicated and supportive group of people in the greater home brewing community. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
I prefer "you people"
I see what you did there!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
Frank, you may just be the longest all-grain holdout that I have ever met.  ;D   

I understand where you are coming from with respect to the BJCP.  What makes being a BJCP judge worth it is the community. You will not find a more dedicated and supportive group of people in the greater home brewing community.

Yes, for the first fifteen years, it was just Charlie P and I. I didn't know anybody else who brewed until I joined the brew club. Once I got with other brewers, I took off.

It's true what you say about the BJCP community. Though I don't usually judge (though I have judged, once) I do steward every year for my brew club's open comp. And I have to say that the judges are the nicest folks (see what I did there, Amanda) that one would ever meet anywhere. Like the folks on this forum, they are open and willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Being an English teacher, I am trained to be so critical of everything that I read and hear, I've decided to approach beer and brewing from a perspective of enjoyment first and criticism second. My nature is too be critical, but beer is the thing that I do to relax and enjoy. I wholeheartedly respect those that sort of "guard the gate" and keep us brewers on out toes and striving to do our best, BJCP judges.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'