Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New reading material  (Read 1380 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
New reading material
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:30:26 pm »
Can't wait to dig into these guys and take my learning to the next level with the journey of home brew.  What order did you guys read them in?  I know it prolly doesn't matter much at all lol

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
Re: New reading material
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:04 pm »
Lucky dog and you're spot on, it probably won't matter.  I would be in for the Malt session first.
Run then beer.

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »
I started with Hops because it's what I had, and I'm putting off water. Yeast was second, and I'm most of the way through Malt. Maybe start with the one you feel most knowledgeable in to build on what you know (or don't know) and then go from there?
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:14 pm »
I started with water, but had not started doing any water adjustments at that point. It was not in the realm of what I was doing, so I never finished it. I now have and use Bru'NWater and love it. I really need to go back and read that book as well as the other 3 now that I have all 4. Good luck and enjoy
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
Think it might go hops yeast water malt for me but we will see if I stick to that line up maybe I'll have to do a little final four bracket and read the forward of all four and advance the two that intrigued me the most then decide on which of those two to start on lol

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:58:28 am »
I've got all four, and so far I've read all of them except for the book on hops. Am I crazy?

I take a fix the problem approach to by beer, so I focus on whatever I feel is the greatest fault first. Initially I had lot of odd flavors that I attributed unhappy yeast, so I tackled the yeast book first. Still don't have complete control of my fermentation temps, but learned enough from the book that I've sorta got a handle on the problem.

Next up: malt and water. Read these at about the same time, while trying to get a basic understanding of mash chemistry. Still a lot more that I could learn from these books, but that'll have to wait till my night classes finish up...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:55:12 am »
Of the four, I would start with Yeast first.  Aside from sanitation, there is nothing more important to brewing beer than managing fermentation - temp, pitching rate and yeast health.
Jon H.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:42 am »
I've got them all.

Yeast is the best one in my opinion. It is the most interesting read and the most practical for a brewer. For me, Water was the next best. Hops was interesting but not super-practical and Malt is a beast. Kind of boring and not especially useful. I guess that is my quick and dirty review

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 10:09:32 am »
Hops and yeast where the two that got narrowed down to I read the forward of hops lastnight will read the yeast one tonight after work and with a homebrew,  think I might go with you guys and read yeast first tho then hops because well as my SN shows im a hophead and soon my home grown hops will be breaking ground so will be fitting lol

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »
And the winner is

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
Oh yea and my heady tooper clone joined the party to read