Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WILL LAGER CARBONATE WITHOUT ADDING YEAST?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline krsna7

• 1st Kit
WILL LAGER CARBONATE WITHOUT ADDING YEAST?
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:16:11 am »
I have made an Oktoberfest/Marzen style lager, it has lagered in my temp controlled fridge @34F for about 3 weeks.. i have read and heard from various online sources that there could possibly be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate in the bottle.  the beer was pretty clear when i primed and bottled (without adding any extra yeast), i opened one after a week just because i was impatient and wanted to check progress, it hissed when i opened the bottle, the beer was still pretty flat without much bubbling, and no head to speak of.. could this beer still carbonate if left to sit for another 3-5 weeks?.. im in no hurry as i have more beer to drink, but i would like to nip a problem in the bud now, instead of waiting the 3-5 weeks still to have uncarbonated beer. give me your input guys, looking for someone who may have experienced this before.
thanks in advance for your responses.
happy brewing!

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: WILL LAGER CARBONATE WITHOUT ADDING YEAST?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:21:21 am »
One week is rarely enough time to carbonate a beer. It usually takes me about 3 weeks at room temp to hit my desired carb level. With a lower amount of yeast it may take a month or more. If you got a hiss at one week I would take that as a very good sign at this point.

When I bottle lagers I usually bottle and carbonate first, then lager in the bottles. I think that speeds the process up a bit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:57 am »
Depends on whether or not yeast is remaining in the beer. The previous post is correct: 2-3 weeks to carbonate. If there isn't enough yeast, it may take longer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »
There's plenty of yeast in there.  Give it another week or two and everything will be fine.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:46:13 am »
You could re-yeast if you want but you should be fine rolling with what is in the beer as long as you are willing to wait a few weeks to ensure good carbonation. If you want the beer a little quicker then you might want to reyeast at bottling.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:26 pm »
one week--- got Pffst..?  You are doing fine. 

Let it go another two weeks and then chill it so the CO2 dissolves more into the beer.  Let it sit cold for about 1 week minimum, and things will settle out, CO2 will dissolve into the beer more... and you will have a nice head on the beer when you pour it!

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!