Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Airlock Question  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
Airlock Question
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:18 am »
So I put my THC in the fermentation bucket Saturday evening. There's about 3.25 gallons, and it's in a 6 gallon bucket. Just to play it safe, I used a blowoff tube. This morning and I checked, but still no bubbling. I popped off the lid to see if there was any activity, and there was a full head of krausen. I thought, hm, maybe the blowoff isn't allowing air out so I'll switch it to a normal three piece airlock. I did, and within seconds it was bubbling.

So my question is this, the day and half that it had the blowoff, but wasn't bubbling, do you think it was airtight or something? I did have it running into a bucket with sanitizer water. If it was airtight, do you think it affected the beer?

Thanks in advance for any answers or comments!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Airlock Question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:18 am »
My guess is a leaky bucket lid. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:55:49 am »
My guess is a leaky bucket lid. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:06:25 am »
Thanks!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:16:02 pm »
In addition to a possibly leaky connection, a 3.25 gallon batch in a 6 gallon fermenter going into a blow-off setup may not bubble as much as you are used to due to the massive headspace required to completely fill with CO2 enough so it can push the liquid in your blow-off jug and create gassing.  It may have been bubbling but just not as often when you were watching (i.e. a watched pot never boils thing?)....Just my 2 cents....  :D