Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary question  (Read 2852 times)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Re: Secondary question
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:12 pm »
Hmmm. Bad as in just tasted off/bad or just everything had some funk (in a good way) too it ever since?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

LOL bad as in bad :)  I don't like every beer funky.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
Will it really not go away even with good PBW cleaning and then good star san soak?

Brettanomyces can be difficult to eradicate from porous brewing equipment.  However, you may be able to eradicate it by soaking your gear in a strong chlorine bleach-based solution (1/2 to 1 cup of bleach per 5 gallons of water).  Star San is acid-anionic sanitizer.  It is composed of a surfactant called dodecylbenzenesulfonate and phosphoric acid.  Acid-anionic sanitizers  are very effective at killing bacteria, but they have limited yeast and mold killing ability (see the paragraph on acid anionic sanitizers at this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=lCRxcp3gfhUC&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=acid+anionic+sanitizer+mechanism&source=bl&ots=oOdpNfn5b8&sig=BFDwDZJtIT_H1mVtXMVvCMPED9k&hl=en&ei=uKrgTIX_OcGAlAfd0MWcAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=acid%20anionic%20sanitizer%20mechanism&f=false).  I went back to using bleach at a rate of 1/4 cup per 5 gallons of water as my primary sanitizer because I discovered the hard way that acid anionic sanitizers have limited yeast and mold killing ability.  Star San is now way down on my list of sanitizers.  I only use Star San on gear that is been sanitized with an oxidizing halogen and rinsed with tap water.

cptnpenguin

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »

So at about 24 hrs have some bubbles about every 1.5-2 min. Before I pitched it there was absolutely no activity at all. Probably let it sit a week or two then bottle

You are definitely going to want to let it sit longer than another week.  And most likely those bubbles are simply CO2 off-gassing from your racked beer rather than Brett C. already fermenting.  Brett C is a very slow worker and not a strong attenuator, and without a sizable pitch will take at least 3-4 mos for it to show any noticeable character. 
What was the final gravity upon racking and adding the brett?  If it was above 1.010 I would definitely give the brett more time to work on the beer unless you like having bottle bombs going off in the house.

It was about 1.013 and I didn't do astarter for the Brett. The idea of bottle bus freaks me out like no other. Sometimes I cringe when picking up a bottle and imagine shards of glass flying everywhere. 3-4 months? Oh boy, my wife is going to have to wait quite awhile for her saison.

cptnpenguin

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »

Will it really not go away even with good PBW cleaning and then good star san soak?

Brettanomyces can be difficult to eradicate from porous brewing equipment.  However, you may be able to eradicate it by soaking your gear in a strong chlorine bleach-based solution (1/2 to 1 cup of bleach per 5 gallons of water).  Star San is acid-anionic sanitizer.  It is composed of a surfactant called dodecylbenzenesulfonate and phosphoric acid.  Acid-anionic sanitizers  are very effective at killing bacteria, but they have limited yeast and mold killing ability (see the paragraph on acid anionic sanitizers at this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=lCRxcp3gfhUC&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=acid+anionic+sanitizer+mechanism&source=bl&ots=oOdpNfn5b8&sig=BFDwDZJtIT_H1mVtXMVvCMPED9k&hl=en&ei=uKrgTIX_OcGAlAfd0MWcAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=acid%20anionic%20sanitizer%20mechanism&f=false).  I went back to using bleach at a rate of 1/4 cup per 5 gallons of water as my primary sanitizer because I discovered the hard way that acid anionic sanitizers have limited yeast and mold killing ability.  Star San is now way down on my list of sanitizers.  I only use Star San on gear that is been sanitized with an oxidizing halogen and rinsed with tap water.

Are you able to get rid of bleach smell/taste fairly easily with that much bleach?