Author Topic: Flame Out vs Steeping  (Read 1215 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Flame Out vs Steeping
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
I was making a Heady Topper clone this weekend from a recipe I found online.  The recipe called for a flame out (0 boil minute) addition and then a steeping addition.  I couldn't figure out why.  Were the flame out hops supposed to be taken out and then the steeping hops added?  I just added them all at flame out and steeped both additions.

What am I missing?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Flame Out vs Steeping
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
I am betting that the person that wrote the recipe was intending for a brewer to add the 0 min hops, chill to steep temp (~170-180), and add the steep hops, in the end leaving all of the hop material in the kettle during the steep.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
So since I added them all at flame-out I got more flavor than the intended aroma?
Dave Zach

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »
I'm sure it is negligible.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm sure it is negligible.

You would think.....
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:38 PM »
The hops added at flameout would extract a little more bitterness, being added at boiling temp. Not a lot more bitterness though. Whereas the hops added after cooling to 175 or under extract basically no noticeable bitterness, but give you really nice flavor and aromas. Sounds like this will be a good beer regardless.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
The hops added at flameout would extract a little more bitterness, being added at boiling temp. Not a lot more bitterness though. Whereas the hops added after cooling to 175 or under extract basically no noticeable bitterness, but give you really nice flavor and aromas. Sounds like this will be a good beer regardless.

Right up your alley Jon:  Simcoe, Apollo, Columbus, Amarillo and Centennial.....
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »

Right up your alley Jon:  Simcoe, Apollo, Columbus, Amarillo and Centennial.....

Sounds good to me!  That Apollo is a strong one.
Jon H.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:08 AM »
Huh, I did a clone of Highland Gaelic Ale and it it had a steeping hop step at flame out too. I hadn't run across this yet. I just tossed them in the pot at flame out as well. Then let it sit for 15 min before chilling. Didn't occur to me to cool it to 175 first. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Huh, I did a clone of Highland Gaelic Ale and it it had a steeping hop step at flame out too. I hadn't run across this yet. I just tossed them in the pot at flame out as well. Then let it sit for 15 min before chilling. Didn't occur to me to cool it to 175 first. Oh well.

You don't have to cool to 175F, some don't.  I just like to because:   1/  I can control the bitterness in the kettle
2/  less of the volatile oils are driven off @ 175F and under, leaving better hop flavor and aroma IMO.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to worry about it.  I agree the results are probably undetectable.  RDWHAHB is my thinking.
Dave Zach

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but has anyone tried adding hops to the boil kettle after fully immersion chilling to run-off/pitch type temperatures?  I.e., doing a chilled hop stand? 

Just wondering if you get some dry hopped quality or will all the potential aromas get scrubbed out during subsequent primary fermentation?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but has anyone tried adding hops to the boil kettle after fully immersion chilling to run-off/pitch type temperatures?  I.e., doing a chilled hop stand? 

Just wondering if you get some dry hopped quality or will all the potential aromas get scrubbed out during subsequent primary fermentation?

Never have. I think a lot of the dry hop character might get scrubbed by fermentation.  As for steeped 'whirlpool' character, the temps might be too cool to extract good flavor. But maybe not. A few years back the conventional wisdom was that whirlpool hopping would cause increased DMS levels - not so.  Who knows? Might be worth trying.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:54 AM »
Had to try it.  On a Saaz based BoPils, so maybe the restrained fermentation will retain some of it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
Had to try it.  On a Saaz based BoPils, so maybe the restrained fermentation will retain some of it.

Yeah it might.  I look forward to seeing how it comes out for you.
Jon H.