Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: step infusion mash for german pils  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
step infusion mash for german pils
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:58:19 pm »
I was looking at some of Kai's notes on german pilsner, and came across one of his mash schedules for german pils. It involves a two step mash, with 1.3qt/lb water at 145F for about 45minutes, then an infusion to bring mash thickness up to 2.00qt/lb and 160F for another 45 minutes. followed by batch sparge of 4.00 gal.

I have not done this before, and curious about how this might impact the fermentability / body of the beer....i would normally target 1.010 or lower for my pils with single infusion around 149-150F.

recipe is 95.4% pils, 2.3% carafoam, 2.3% melanoidin.

I'm also going with his soft water profile:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:15:40 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: step infusion mash for german pils
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »
I have done a step mash 130-146-158 for my last two german lagers after reading Gordon Strong's book.  It is still early but I am happy with how both beers (Kellerbier and a Helles) have turned out.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:30:16 pm »
Pretty much been doing that schedule for years. It works, the Alpha rest at 158-160F will really help the head retention.

As far as water, that will make something more like a southern Bavarian Pils, it will be not so dry and lingering in the finish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »

Pretty much been doing that schedule for years. It works, the Alpha rest at 158-160F will really help the head retention.

As far as water, that will make something more like a southern Bavarian Pils, it will be not so dry and lingering in the finish.

So fair to expect the lower FG around 1.010 or so? I'm usually targeting my water with a little more sulfate and chloride, but thought I would give it a try and see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »
I've been eyeing that schedule as well but can't decide whether or not to throw in a 130 protein rest.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »
I've done a 40-65-70*C (122-149-158*F) my last brew. Not much more experience than that. :/

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »

So fair to expect the lower FG around 1.010 or so? I'm usually targeting my water with a little more sulfate and chloride, but thought I would give it a try and see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get around that with all Pils malt. I don't use any other malts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:44 pm »
I am  in the 133, 144,155 boat.    I used to do 2 infusions to get there, (10 minutes, 10minutes, 30 minutes) now I have the ability to ramp the temperature, and go from 133 to 155 in 20 minutes and hold for 30. 

I do an all pilsner malt bill, and I usually finish 1.012 to 1.009.

My anectdotal observations are that I get better head and mouthfeel in a low attenuating beer by going this rout compared to a single infustion mash at 152. 

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:36:37 pm »
FWIW, I just racked my first German Pils to kegs yesterday.  I used Kai's GP water profile, with 75% RO water so as to hit the numbers.  The grist was 96.7% Bestmalz pilsner malt, 3.3% melanoidin.  I did a 90-minute single infusion mash at 149 - 148F at 1.71 qts water per lb. grain, crushed till scared, yeast nutrient, 3 min straight o2 wort aeration, a healthy pitch of 2.5 packets (rehydrated) of Saflager 34/70 per 5.5 gal of wort, cool fermented, and went from OG 1.051 to 1.009 after a month in temp-controlled primary fermenters.

It tasted great at racking, and with the few mentioned supporting BMPs, the highly modified malt did fine with a single infusion mash, at least to get the desired attenuation.

I mash in a picnic cooler and do 10-gal batches and so far have mostly avoided step mashes.  I do that to keep from getting screwed up, since I can control a single step quite easily, and calculated additions (infusion water volume + temp) in the past for multiple infusions, as calculated in ProMash, didn't come close enough to hitting the targeted mash temps the first try.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:45:39 pm by brewsumore »

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:04 am »
I mash in a picnic cooler and do 10-gal batches and so far have mostly avoided step mashes.  I do that to keep from getting screwed up, since I can control a single step quite easily, and calculated additions (infusion water volume + temp) in the past for multiple infusions, as calculated in ProMash, didn't come close enough to hitting the targeted mash temps the first try.

I had to train myself to add ~5° to a second infusion vs what beersmith says.  I write my temps and rest times on a dry erase board and just go off of that.  Might be something in my profile setup, but everything else is fine so I'll leave it alone.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:51 am »
Brewday, under the Mash profile on the Mash tab, look to see if you checked "Adjust Temp for Equipment" = when I un-clicked this - I now hit my strike and infustion temperatures dead on.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:31 am »
Brewday, under the Mash profile on the Mash tab, look to see if you checked "Adjust Temp for Equipment" = when I un-clicked this - I now hit my strike and infustion temperatures dead on.
+1

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:37 am »

I appreciate the tip and it's a good one, but checked or unchecked the second infusion temp given comes up low for me, so I just know to bump it up a few degrees.  Initial strike is dead on though.  It's probably a combination of losing a couple of degrees during the longer rest and my initial profile setup - I carried the profile over to my iPad a couple of years ago and haven't been in the original program since.  I'm sure I set it up wrong somewhere in there.  I'll get around to it one of these days....

But I put up with the quirk because I love the results I'm getting with this mash schedule.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:41 am »
I have done that mash schedule quite a few times.  I guess no one will be surprised to hear me say that I couldn't tell any difference from a single infusion at 148 for 90 min.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
I have done that mash schedule quite a few times.  I guess no one will be surprised to hear me say that I couldn't tell any difference from a single infusion at 148 for 90 min.

when i wrote this post, i've been waiting for such a response  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale