Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: step infusion mash for german pils  (Read 6974 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: step infusion mash for german pils
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 11:06:07 am »
I have done that mash schedule quite a few times.  I guess no one will be surprised to hear me say that I couldn't tell any difference from a single infusion at 148 for 90 min.
You would say that, Denny. I'm beginning to wonder just how tuned that palate really is ;)

If anything, I really like a Hochkurz step infusion schedule (143-145 for 20-30 min, 158-160 for 30-60 min) because it's easy, it boosts my efficiency, gives me good dependable attenuation, and helps with the quality of the finished beer (I think) over a single infusion.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:58 am »
You would say that, Denny. I'm beginning to wonder just how tuned that palate really is ;)

And vice versa!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 11:31:44 am »
Is it time to start another decoction thread?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:39:23 am »
I couldn't tell any difference from a single infusion at 148 for 90 min.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 11:44:48 am »

+1

So just to clarify- no difference in body, malt character, head retention, or anything else as compared to a single infusion mash?

This is what I intend to be looking for with a recipe I've made many time with single infusion at 148-149f.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:04:48 pm »

...or a picobrew triangle test!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

No.  I know what I've found.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:50 pm »

+1

So just to clarify- no difference in body, malt character, head retention, or anything else as compared to a single infusion mash?

This is what I intend to be looking for with a recipe I've made many time with single infusion at 148-149f.

Not that I have been able to see in repeated tests.  I urge you to make this an experiment you do.  Brew exactly the same beer (same bags of grain and hops if possible) both ways and do a blind triangle.  Don't take my word for it, decide for yourself.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »

+1

I did rests @ 145 and 158 for German pils before and noticed very little difference body and flavor wise to the 148/90 min single infusion. Head retention may have been a little better with the step, maybe not. I'm sure step mashers probably feel differently.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »

+1

Not that I have been able to see in repeated tests.  I urge you to make this an experiment you do.  Brew exactly the same beer (same bags of grain and hops if possible) both ways and do a blind triangle.  Don't take my word for it, decide for yourself.

Seems like best approach. I'm certain if there's something dramatically different I could taste or perceive , I would know it. But perhaps more subtle differences do require a more objective testing and evaluation ( blind triangle) .  Really no extra effort to step so worth my time I think. I will have to sharpen my knowledge on setting up the blind triangle with some beer friends.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 05:17:40 am »
I mash in a picnic cooler and do 10-gal batches and so far have mostly avoided step mashes.  I do that to keep from getting screwed up, since I can control a single step quite easily, and calculated additions (infusion water volume + temp) in the past for multiple infusions, as calculated in ProMash, didn't come close enough to hitting the targeted mash temps the first try.

I had to train myself to add ~5° to a second infusion vs what beersmith says.  I write my temps and rest times on a dry erase board and just go off of that.  Might be something in my profile setup, but everything else is fine so I'll leave it alone.
I've only done one multi step infusion and thought it was just me and my system. Glad to hear others say this. My next brew I'll adjust by 5*F.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:55 am »
I mash in a picnic cooler and do 10-gal batches and so far have mostly avoided step mashes.  I do that to keep from getting screwed up, since I can control a single step quite easily, and calculated additions (infusion water volume + temp) in the past for multiple infusions, as calculated in ProMash, didn't come close enough to hitting the targeted mash temps the first try.

I had to train myself to add ~5° to a second infusion vs what beersmith says.  I write my temps and rest times on a dry erase board and just go off of that.  Might be something in my profile setup, but everything else is fine so I'll leave it alone.
I've only done one multi step infusion and thought it was just me and my system. Glad to hear others say this. My next brew I'll adjust by 5*F.

When I do step mashes, I don't bother with calculations since I have yet to be able to find a way to do it accurately.  I just stir in boiling water until I hit the temp I'm going for.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 09:44:34 am »
When I do step mashes, I don't bother with calculations since I have yet to be able to find a way to do it accurately.  I just stir in boiling water until I hit the temp I'm going for.

Same thing I did when I step mashed.

EDIT -   To hit volumes, I measured the exact volume of the mash runnings and used just the amount  of sparge water I needed to hit my target post boil volume.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:19:48 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 11:47:11 am »
[quote author=denny

[/quote]

Denny, does that include at dough-in?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:58:31 pm »
[quote author=denny

Denny, does that include at dough-in?
[/quote]

No, using Promash and my experience I can get very accurate strike temps.  But after that, the cooler's design to eliminate temp differences means that no software I've tried has been able to accurately predict water (or decoction) volumes and temps.  At that point, it"s easier to just heat up more than I need and add as I watch the temp.

www.dennybrew.com