Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Magical Water  (Read 2250 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Magical Water
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
This has happened before and it happened again tonight. Apparently, my mash tun can create water out of thin air.

My mash water volume was 4 gallons, got 2.75 first runnings (close enough to expected).

My sparge water volume was 3.37 gallons, and I got 3.5 gallons back! Is it possible that after batch sparging and stirring around the grain, it somehow "unlocks" some extra water that didn't come out during the first runnings?

Or is it simply magic?

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Magical Water
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:45:04 pm »
No magic. I think that all the grain-water absorption takes place during the mash. So after you run off the mash water, the grains are saturated and don't take on any more water. Your second runnings should be more or less the same volume as the sparge water you add.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:25 pm »
Yeah, I know they should be the same, but how am I getting more? Now that I think about it, 3.5 gallons and ~3.4 aren't too different.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »
No magic. I think that all the grain-water absorption takes place during the mash. So after you run off the mash water, the grains are saturated and don't take on any more water. Your second runnings should be more or less the same volume as the sparge water you add.

+1.  Sounds like the first runnings could've been drained a little more thoroughly too, explaining why the sparge amount came out a little higher than what was put in.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »

+1.  Sounds like the first runnings could've been drained a little more thoroughly too, explaining why the sparge amount came out a little higher than what was put in.

How would you do this? I use a Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler and at some point, the wort stops flowing. Even if I tip it, there is no more liquid coming out.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »
it keeps coming out, just very very slowly. put the end of your runoff hose in a container while you go on with your brew and see how much more drains out over the course of an hour.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:11:49 am »
it keeps coming out, just very very slowly. put the end of your runoff hose in a container while you go on with your brew and see how much more drains out over the course of an hour.

Yes, I find that I will get a quart or more over the course of the boil up.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:57:25 am »
Sometimes my volumes are low. I have to close the valve, shake the cooler, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before collecting the last bit of wort. Stirring the grain around also helps to free any wort however that kind of defeats the purpose of establishing the grain bed.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
In the past I've used a small rectangular cookie sheet that fits into my cooler, to gently press down on the grain bed and get an extra quart or so of wort, to hit my target volume. My volumes are dialed in pretty tightly now, though.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:13 am »
I just let my cooler drain the last drops into a gallon pitcher. You'd be surprised how much trickles out over the course of an hour. Then it gets added to the boil though some brewers like to make starters out of the runoff.

Always seems to me that I get more out of my second sparge too. The mash is mushier and I think it just lets loose of more liquid after being hypersaturated.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »
There must be a physics based answer, but danged if I know what it is.  My experience has been the same (maybe the thinness of the second runoff allows a greater suction of liquid by a very small degree in terms of the siphon....)  Or its magic.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:35 pm »
I suspect the answer is because you are adding plain water and removing water with dissolved sugar (dissolved out of the grain). If you dissolve table sugar in plain water the total volume will increase slightly.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:08:36 pm »
I suspect the answer is because you are adding plain water and removing water with dissolved sugar (dissolved out of the grain). If you dissolve table sugar in plain water the total volume will increase slightly.

Sounds pretty spot on to me.  Hadn't thought of that.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »
This has happened before and it happened again tonight. Apparently, my mash tun can create water out of thin air.

My mash water volume was 4 gallons, got 2.75 first runnings (close enough to expected).

My sparge water volume was 3.37 gallons, and I got 3.5 gallons back! Is it possible that after batch sparging and stirring around the grain, it somehow "unlocks" some extra water that didn't come out during the first runnings?

Or is it simply magic?

Yeah, it must be something like that.  I regularly get about 1/2 gal. less from my mash and the same amount more from my sparge than I anticipate.  Since I end up with the correct volume, I don't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewerbrandon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:00 pm »
I imagine the fluidity of the grain bed increases draining off the higher gravity work and passing mashout temperature water through the bed. The sparge water has a lower specific gravity than the work and is less viscous as well. The diffusion of wort sugars away from the grain must also increase as the osmotic pressure increases. Have you tried continuous sparging?