Author Topic: Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
I'm not sure about the discrepancy either... Maybe they are padding the stats or just spreading a little disinformation? I did a blind taste test with my girlfriend and a couple friends I had over the other night and the only way anyone could guess which was which is that my kegged beer tasted "fresher". My girlfriend loves the Levitation and she's happy we can now replicate it so closely at home since she just found out it was discontinued.
I'd say follow the recipe closely as you can and see how it turns out for you, then you at least have a baseline for further experimenting.
EDIT- I did use WLP001 instead of the 007 they recommend, my local shop was out of 007. Didn't find that it changed the taste though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:59:55 PM by Rattlesnake44 »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »
They may use whirlpool additions at the brewery, however the book says to add flameout hops, chill to 72 ASAP.

Rattlesnake I may just try a straight clone. That still doesn't answer why the discrepancy though…unless Stone overstates their IBU values?

One might ask Stone if that is their estimate or a lab measurement. They have a lab, it measured the IBU numbers for Steeles IPA book.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »
They may use whirlpool additions at the brewery, however the book says to add flameout hops, chill to 72 ASAP.

Rattlesnake I may just try a straight clone. That still doesn't answer why the discrepancy though…unless Stone overstates their IBU values?

True, but they may be trying to KISS it for homebrewers knowing that many will not have a method to replicate a whirlpool and "hop stands" are still somewhat of a new concept.

I don't think they overstate or are trying to spread bad info.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
45 IBU makes sense for an APA, 20 not so much. So obviously their whirlpool hopping is the X factor. If I were to brew this (and I might) I'd want to keep the BU:GU at the right balance - I'd add the 45 IBU @ 60, then add the appropriate amount of late hops in the whirlpool at a cool temp, to not extract noticeable extra bitterness and to get better flavor and aroma.

EDIT -  It takes an educated guess on the amount of late hops, but I'd use Amarillo (and others) and try to correlate the amount of flavor in Levitation to similar beers I've made and try the amount from those beers. Seems the best solution.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:25:35 AM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:23 AM »
Well, like I said, I don't use BeerSmith and I used the recipe from "Can You Brew It" podcast, which seems to be this exact one. I was able to produce a beer that tastes so similar to Stone's bottled Levitation that three out of four people guessed wrong in a blind taste test.
Now if the idea was to brew a clone, I say, why change anything? If the idea is to brew a beer similar, but subtlety different, beer, then change anything you like.
Here's my recipe and notes:
Worked for me.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »
ok, so my current plan would then be to use the beersmith calculated buttering additions, then add 1 oz amarillo in the whirlpool. (Too much? Figured that was as good a place to start as any…) Of course I'll adjust for whatever AA is in the hops I get.

I haven't done a whirlpool hop stand before…I've got a therminator, so just feed the cold side back into the kettle till it get to what, 170-180*F? Then let it sit for how long before cooling the rest of the way?
Don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »
Rattlesnake44 - what are the IBUs in that CYBI recipe shown as ?  Just curious.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 12:34:03 AM »
ok, so my current plan would then be to use the beersmith calculated buttering additions, then add 1 oz amarillo in the whirlpool. (Too much? Figured that was as good a place to start as any…) Of course I'll adjust for whatever AA is in the hops I get.

I haven't done a whirlpool hop stand before…I've got a therminator, so just feed the cold side back into the kettle till it get to what, 170-180*F? Then let it sit for how long before cooling the rest of the way?

That sounds like a lot of work with a plate chiller.  Honestly if it was me I'd brew the recipe as published with the 0 min addition, let stand hot for 15 minutes after you kill the burner then run it thru your therminator and into the fermenter as usual.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »
Rattlesnake44 - what are the IBUs in that CYBI recipe shown as ?  Just curious.
I'm sure Jamil or someone on there said it, but for the life of me I can't remember. I have an app called BrewPal on my iPad that I keep and build some recipes on, if I put the recipe in it tells me 59 in the Rager scale. But to my actual taste it doesn't seem that bitter. Then again, I've had my nose broken quite a few times and somethings don't always taste the way they should .
I put the 0 min hops in at flameout as per the recipe, using my immersion chiller with groundwater it took about 25-30 min to cool down to pitching temp of about 70ish F.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:13 AM »
The CYBI recipe calculates to just under 65 IBUs, where the one posted in the blog calcs to just under 25 , not counting the Crystal and Simcoe addition at flameout. I don't know that the .26 oz of Simcoe and the .9 oz of Crystal could be counted on steeping out 20 IBUs (to hit the target 45) regardless of time or temp. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:01:16 AM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 01:04:31 AM »
I just glanced at the recipe in the blog, it looked similar so I think I just assumed it was the same. In my notes I have the 007 yeast but I used 001. Need to go back and change that. Otherwise, that's how I brewed it and I can't argue with the taste. It's beer, it's very very close to Levitation and I'm drinking a pint right now and enjoying it!
Cheers!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:48 AM »
I just glanced at the recipe in the blog, it looked similar so I think I just assumed it was the same. In my notes I have the 007 yeast but I used 001. Need to go back and change that. Otherwise, that's how I brewed it and I can't argue with the taste. It's beer, it's very very close to Levitation and I'm drinking a pint right now and enjoying it!
Cheers!

Hey, if it tastes good, that's ALL that matters !  I was trying to figure out the IBU puzzle. Enjoy !
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 01:17:05 AM »
The CYBI recipe calculates to just under 65 IBUs, where the one posted in the blog calcs to just under 25 , not counting the Crystal and Simcoe addition at flameout. I don't know that the .26 oz of Simcoe and the .9 oz of Crystal could be counted on steeping out 20 IBUs (to hit the target 45) regardless of time or temp. I could be wrong.

Maybe the answer is somewhere in between - by bumping the late hops up a bit.  In Beersmith set for 5 gallons with .30 oz CTZ @90 and 1.5 amarillo, 1.0 crystal, .50 simcoe all @0 (15min steep) I'm getting 42 ibu.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:24:03 AM by brewday »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:01 AM »
Cheers!

That looks really tasty!

That's the nice thing about home brewing…even if the final product is not what you expected you still end up with beer.

I'm with Hoosier, judging by the Stone Pale Ale recipe having a similar IBU mismatch, I think there's something to be gained by figuring out why. I'm going to have to look at more of the recipes in that Stone book I got for christmas, and see if they follow a similar trend. Stone is my wife's favorite brand, so I know I'll be brewing more than a few of their recipes.

True, but they may be trying to KISS it for homebrewers knowing that many will not have a method to replicate a whirlpool and "hop stands" are still somewhat of a new concept.

I don't think they overstate or are trying to spread bad info.

I agree, I don't see Stone trying to spread bad info, and they could have been just trying to keep things simple. However, playing with beersmith I still don't get anywhere near 45 IBUs when setting the flameout hops to whirlpool. (No idea what temp beersmith uses for it's whirlpool calculations, can't find the setting.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:27:48 AM by Phil_M »
Don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:12 AM »
Maybe the extra comes from the late additions steeping along with the flame out. I'm sure they measure there bitterness.