Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe  (Read 11003 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »
The CYBI recipe calculates to just under 65 IBUs, where the one posted in the blog calcs to just under 25 , not counting the Crystal and Simcoe addition at flameout. I don't know that the .26 oz of Simcoe and the .9 oz of Crystal could be counted on steeping out 20 IBUs (to hit the target 45) regardless of time or temp. I could be wrong.

Maybe the answer is somewhere in between - by bumping the late hops up a bit.  In Beersmith set for 5 gallons with .30 oz CTZ @90 and 1.5 amarillo, 1.0 crystal, .50 simcoe all @0 (15min steep) I'm getting 42 ibu.

Maybe the extra comes from the late additions steeping along with the flame out. I'm sure they measure there bitterness.

Yeah, that could very well be. Regardless, it's pretty good info. Not that hard to get there from here.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »
The CYBI recipe calculates to just under 65 IBUs, where the one posted in the blog calcs to just under 25 , not counting the Crystal and Simcoe addition at flameout. I don't know that the .26 oz of Simcoe and the .9 oz of Crystal could be counted on steeping out 20 IBUs (to hit the target 45) regardless of time or temp. I could be wrong.

Maybe the answer is somewhere in between - by bumping the late hops up a bit.  In Beersmith set for 5 gallons with .30 oz CTZ @90 and 1.5 amarillo, 1.0 crystal, .50 simcoe all @0 (15min steep) I'm getting 42 ibu.

Maybe the extra comes from the late additions steeping along with the flame out. I'm sure they measure there bitterness.

Yeah, that could very well be. Regardless, it's pretty good info. Not that hard to get there from here.

Agreed.  And now I want to give this a go too.  I'm confident I can get the hop bitterness/flavor/aroma down, but I'm still kinda shocked at the amount of crystal malt in these recipes.  I think gypsum and acid will be my friends...

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 07:43:16 pm »

Edit: I looked at the recipe and that's too much crystal. I'd ditch the black malt too.
You need fair amount of crystal and high mash temp for 4.4%abv beer.

See, this is why "winky" emoticons let people know your joking around.

winky also doubles as a not so subtle polite way of saying F off (in general not specific to this forum) ......so it seems  ;D
did you all know the happy face was invented in Worcester, Ma.?
Edit:  :).
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
Stone releases official Levitation Ale recipe
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:38 pm »
I brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone recipe from CYBI a few weeks ago and it's pretty spot on as well. This is the one recipe Stone has refused to make public. So I'm happy that I found one that's so close.
I'll have to pick up the book with the other recipes though. I love Stone beer, usually make a trip out to the Stone store in Pasadena about once a month to fill up a growler and taste as much as I can.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 07:56:36 pm »
Agreed on plenty of gypsum with that much crystal. Being a. 4.4 abv beer, I'm sure it helps with body. Definitely wouldn't use that much normally.
Jon H.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »
Rattlesnake44 - you should try CaraAroma in your Arrogant Bastard clone instead of C120, C150, or Special B. CaraAroma gives it the deep red color. Many on the HomeBrewTalk forum feel this is the right pair with 2 row for A.B.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »

Rattlesnake44 - you should try CaraAroma in your Arrogant Bastard clone instead of C120, C150, or Special B. CaraAroma gives it the deep red color. Many on the HomeBrewTalk forum feel this is the right pair with 2 row for A.B.
Roger that. I brewed with Special B for color. It came pretty darn close, but I'll try the CaraAroma next time maybe. It won't be back in the line up until fall probably. Thanks.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 12:18:58 pm »

Well, like I said, I don't use BeerSmith and I used the recipe from "Can You Brew It" podcast, which seems to be this exact one. I was able to produce a beer that tastes so similar to Stone's bottled Levitation that three out of four people guessed wrong in a blind taste test.
Now if the idea was to brew a clone, I say, why change anything? If the idea is to brew a beer similar, but subtlety different, beer, then change anything you like.
Here's my recipe and notes:
Worked for me.
Is your 20 mins additions actually 20'mins or is it a 20 min whirlpool?  I'm using your recipe for a comp in April

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »
Also another question think tasty's water profile would work well with this recipe or should I go with another water profile with all the crystal?

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2015, 03:44:30 pm »
I added the hops at 20 min before flameout. I use a 50/50 mix of my city tap water and distilled water. I use a campden tablet to remove chloramine but that was it.
Let me know how it turns out for ya!

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2015, 08:06:14 pm »
Brewing tomorrow will keep you updated

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:27 pm »
Hit pre boil gravity and had a mash ph of 5.345 stayed consistant thanks to alittle yoga mat wrapping lol

Boiling now will update OG when I finish

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »
Also another question think tasty's water profile would work well with this recipe or should I go with another water profile with all the crystal?

It's probably late in the game to respond since you're brewing it now, but yes, that profile would work well.
Jon H.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »
Used tasty's water and had a hell of a boil I guess because I was 2 point under on pre boil grav and then post boil grave im 6 points over with my vol hit perfect so it's going to be alil higher abv then the original OG is 1.054

Color is dam close to levitation and I had to sub crystal 80 or 75 and 120 for 175 or what ever tht one was my LHBS had everything but the two I needed lol

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »
Oh and the flavor on this is straight amazing best sample to date