Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegs on sale  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

S. cerevisiae

Re: Kegs on sale
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »
I can see the bottom falling out of the used keg market if suppliers keep offering the AMCYL kegs at discounted prices.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »
Those are excellent prices for new kegs! I paid $82.50 at AIH, and I though that it was a good deal. I have found the kegs to be good quality. Jump on this if you need kegs.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:15:27 pm »

I can see the bottom falling out of the used keg market if suppliers keep offering the AMCYL kegs at discounted prices.
Yeah, I don't understand the >$50 used keg market.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
Those are excellent prices for new kegs! I paid $82.50 at AIH, and I though that it was a good deal. I have found the kegs to be good quality. Jump on this if you need kegs.
AIH is coming down in price too.  I ordered a new corny for $75 on Tuesday.  Haven't got a look at it yet though.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »
Perhaps used kegs will become less expensive, in the $40 range as a result of the new keg pricing. Still a lot of new keg prices out there over $100....crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »

Yep.  The prices on used/reconditioned will have to come down or greedy retailers will lose out.  These prices tempt me on principle, but then I realize I have ~ 15 in great shape. $$ better spent on other brewing stuff.
Jon H.

Offline bassetman

• Cellarman
  • B is for beer and Basset
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:57:50 am »
I now have four of the new kegs from AIH and have been very pleased as here used kegs are like 60 bucks and the new are 75.......not a difficult decision to make.
If it ain't broke let me have a go at it.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:21 pm »
AIH is coming down in price too.  I ordered a new corny for $75 on Tuesday.  Haven't got a look at it yet though.
New corny from AIH arrived today.  It looks really good.  Just as good as the other one I have that has PEPSI COLA BTLG CO. stamped on the side.  Everything is the same except the AIH one is new.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:59 pm »
Anyone ever order from here?

http://www.kegoutlet.com/promos/default.aspx?a_aid=homebrewfinds&promo=PLKEGSALE

Finally making the bottle to keg switch, and thinking maybe I should grab a few...
Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
Not only do you pay for the used kegs, but need a good cleaning and some parts.  I've bought those "reconditioned" kegs before and they always tend to need something.  I'd rather buy new and not worry about any of it at these prices.  I miss the buy 10 for $300 deal I got originally.  I have 14 now and would like 20.  Everyone likes even numbers, right? 
Used is fine, new at these prices just makes sense.
Jeff B

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »

http://www.kegoutlet.com/promos/default.aspx?a_aid=homebrewfinds&promo=PLKEGSALE

Finally making the bottle to keg switch, and thinking maybe I should grab a few...

I have not purchased from them specifically, but I have purchased all 6 of my kegs used from Beverage Elements, and have not had a problem with any of them.  I have replacement parts for them, but have not had to use them so far.

As far as cleaning goes, I have also never had to do more than a hot wash with oxyclean to get them all cleaned up.  Maybe I have just gotten lucky though.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:30:48 pm »

It looks like the race to dump "seen better days" stock before the bottom falls out is underway.  I knew that the ridiculous prices for used premix tanks were unsustainable.   I could never understand why people were paying  $50.00 to $70.00 for 40-year-old premix tanks when new premix tanks could be purchased for $100.00.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:03 am »
Definitely inspect it before throwing the box it came in away. A friend of mine had to send one back because it had some rust spots inside. The price you pay for cheap Chinese stainless...
As much as cheap kegs are appealing, nothing beats the AEB kegs. I wish I could afford to buy 10 of those suckers.
Jesse