Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Caged Corking Tip  (Read 2619 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Belgian Caged Corking Tip
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:41 am »
On more than one occasion the cork has ripped itself free of the bottle after the cage was removed and then set aside for a couple minutes. Once was in the fridge.

Good to know about the caps. But, does a regular wing-capper work?

You need a 29 mm crownhead, like this one, instead of the  (European?) standard 26 mm: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/brewing/beer-bottles-crown-caps/crown-cappers/accessories/d/crownhead-inner-thread-29-mm-for-emily-fiw#.VRKwWxdPZuZ, and, of course, 29 mm caps.

This works on champagne-style bottles but not the Belgian bottles with large mouths like what Jim posted. Those bottles cannot be capped. At least I have never seen a cap or mechanism to apply a cap to those bottles. With my champagne bottles I am content to slap on a 29mm cap without a cork. It might be less classy but the 29mm caps tend to have a thick oxygen barrier and I am comfortable without adding a cork (at least for now).

The red baron wing capper, as I understand it, is the only wing capper capable of capping 29mm caps but you need to buy a separate bell for the larger cap. Many counter or floor corkers have 29mm crownheads available as well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:02:31 am »
That's good!

So I looks at my red baron wing-capper. The crown head isn't removable. :( However I looked at the metal plates that grip the neck and interestingly enough they are stamped 26mm and 29mm and are reversible apparently.

A decent tug with the vice grips and they slide out fairly easily.

Tried an old Leifmanns cap that's full of dried epoxy and it fits partway into the crown head. Wish I had one to try on a bottle itself.

Any ideas about this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:12 am »
On more than one occasion the cork has ripped itself free of the bottle after the cage was removed and then set aside for a couple minutes. Once was in the fridge.

Good to know about the caps. But, does a regular wing-capper work?

You need a 29 mm crownhead, like this one, instead of the  (European?) standard 26 mm: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/brewing/beer-bottles-crown-caps/crown-cappers/accessories/d/crownhead-inner-thread-29-mm-for-emily-fiw#.VRKwWxdPZuZ, and, of course, 29 mm caps.

This works on champagne-style bottles but not the Belgian bottles with large mouths like what Jim posted. Those bottles cannot be capped. At least I have never seen a cap or mechanism to apply a cap to those bottles.

I feel ashamed that you have to tell a Belgian what a Belgian bottle looks like :-(
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:39 am »
Nice tip on corking Belgian bottles. It's been a few years since I've bottled Belgian beers. I used the rubber stopper and found the same inconsistencies. I really love the idea of the stainless collar.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
Nice tip on corking Belgian bottles. It's been a few years since I've bottled Belgian beers. I used the rubber stopper and found the same inconsistencies. I really love the idea of the stainless collar.
Thanks! I find it to be a cheap, clean, and durable fix. I sent morebeer a note. Maybe it will catch on and I'll be famous lol

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 02:44:09 pm »
That's good!

So I looks at my red baron wing-capper. The crown head isn't removable. :( However I looked at the metal plates that grip the neck and interestingly enough they are stamped 26mm and 29mm and are reversible apparently.

A decent tug with the vice grips and they slide out fairly easily.

Tried an old Leifmanns cap that's full of dried epoxy and it fits partway into the crown head. Wish I had one to try on a bottle itself.

Any ideas about this?

I've heard people say you can flip over those plates and cap 29mm. I guess if the model does not have a removable crownhead and a 29mm cap fits then you should be fine just flipping the plates. I have the less impressive black wing capper and the plates are not removable. I believe some of the red wing cappers have removable crownheads rather than adjustable plates.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 02:55:35 pm »
I don't think the red baron is very impressive but if it'll cap a Belgian then all the better!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis