Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Throw caution to the wind!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline chrisinestes

• Cellarman
  • Estes Park, Colorado!
Throw caution to the wind!
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:19 am »
I've decided to let nature take it's course on a batch of beer. What I thought I'd do is make a starter, cover it with a screen to keep the pinecones and raccoons out of it, let it sit outside for... (how long?) then pitch it into wort when the starter is bubbling away.

Any tips for me?

Chris
Estes Park, CO
Mmmmm..... Beer....

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Throw caution to the wind!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:07:18 am »
Lots of big creatures in Estes Park...  I'm thinking Bears!

It's probably still too soon for hummingbirds, but they'd probably go nuts over the screen.

It'd be interesting to see how your starter turns out.

Charlie Papazian recently wrote an article in Zymurgy about using your personal flora (body cooties like bacteria and yeast off of your skin) to make your beer.  Too native for me.

Offline fuadhasan57

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
Throw caution to the wind. To warn someone against someone or something. Haven't I cautioned you about that before? Hasn't someone cautioned you about Daniel.if you err on the side of caution when you are deciding what to do, you do the thing that is safe instead of taking a risk.

Offline matt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »
I left my hydro sample in the garage and when I discovered it 2 days later it was fermenting. Give that a try

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:35 am »
I left a quart or so of final runnings in pot in my shed in February, it looks like rock candy with big bubbles in it.  I never knew there was any wild yeast or bacteria that would or could work at those low temperatures?   :o