Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which Bru'nwater profile for APA  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Which Bru'nwater profile for APA
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:38 pm »
I use the Bru'nwater pale ale profile for my IPAs, but I haven't done an American pale ale in a while. Which profile should I use for an SNPA-ish APA? Amber bitter or pale ale?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Which Bru'nwater profile for APA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
For APA I (sort of) use the Pale Ale profile. It calls for 300ppm sulfate, but for APA I really like ~ 225ppm sulfate. So I match the pale ale profile in every respect except that, as said, I back the sulfate to ~ 225, but I use the epsom , canning salt, and calcium chloride to the letter. Usually (depending on grist) calls for a small amount of lactic acid.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »
For APA I (sort of) use the Pale Ale profile. It calls for 300ppm sulfate, but for APA I really like ~ 225ppm sulfate. So I match the pale ale profile in every respect except that, as said, I back the sulfate to ~ 225, but I use the epsom , canning salt, and calcium chloride to the letter. Usually (depending on grist) calls for a small amount of lactic acid.

Thanks for the response. What is the difference in the flavor between 225ppm and 300ppm? I'm guessing that  the higher level of sulfate would make it more bitter? dryer?

I like my pale ales very balanced and not completely dry, but not overly sweet either. SNPA, to me, is just right.
Frank C.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:09:11 pm »

Thanks for the response. What is the difference in the flavor between 225ppm and 300ppm? I'm guessing that  the higher level of sulfate would make it more bitter? dryer?

I like my pale ales very balanced and not completely dry, but not overly sweet either. SNPA, to me, is just right.

Higher sulfate levels dry the finish (ie., less sweet) and push hop character to the forefront. 300ppm is great for IPA, since I like a drier IPA and feel that high hopping rates clash with excess malt sweetness.  But I like the softer impact of using less sulfate for APA.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:36 am »
Great! Thanks for the explanation.
Frank C.