Do you keg or bottle?

Primarily Keg
23 (67.6%)
Primarily Bottle
7 (20.6%)
50/50
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Keg or Bottle?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Keg or Bottle?
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »
When did you make the jump from bottling to kegging?

Did it make a significant difference in the quality of your beers?

Any insights are appreciated!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Keg or Bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »
I started out kegging, didn't bottle at all for almost a year. I remember when my dad used to brew how much of a pain it was dealing with bottles all the time, so I just went straight for kegs. I bottle on occasion, usually when I know it's a beer I'm going to want to share.

I've got 7 or 8 cases of old pry-off miller lite bottles, all empty at the moment. I've got four kegs, looking to get more soon. Eventually I'd like to lager in them.

I find my kegged and bottles beers to have about the same level of quality. One thing to note: my bottled beers have tended to be more clear, probably because the age more/get consumed more slowly than my kegged beers.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:24:57 pm »
I didn't get into kegging to make better beer, only to get away from bottling.  Started about a year and a half after I began brewing. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:46 pm »
I went about three years before kegging. I still bottle a handful of batches every year. Big beers and Saisons mostly

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:05 pm »
I went about three years before kegging. I still bottle a handful of batches every year. Big beers and Saisons mostly

"Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper."

That's hilarious...I have to admit I thought about this almost immediately after I heard he was moving to VT. Shame on me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:42:03 pm by flbrewer »

Offline bassetman

• Cellarman
  • B is for beer and Basset
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:04 pm »
My disability made bottling really difficult, especially if I had no help. Kegging is much easier for me to accomplish.
If it ain't broke let me have a go at it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:16 pm »
For most beers you can hands down say draft is better. The beer is simply preserved better. Also you can dial in co2 vol much better. for some beer an argument can be made for bottling. Easier to age (not taking up entire keg), wanted micro oxidation (barley wines where oxidation may be somewhat beneficial to aging), and higher co2 vol such as some belgian styles or hefe weizen.

If you are interested in getting into kegging: Do it. It is the best way to serve most beers. No argument there.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:07 pm »
I started kegging a few years ago simply based of my laziness.  I strongly dislike cleaning bottles, filling bottles and capping bottles.  Kegging is a big time saver, but it isn't automatic.  You still have sanitation and prep like you would with a bottle, you just have to do it once instead of 30 times.  That said, I plan on bottling 3 batches this summer. 

Why the Saisons Steve?
Run then beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:47:46 pm »
I just like saisons bottle conditioned. I normally brew 10 gallons of saison and bottle half.

Kegging can also be a total PIA with all the little issues that pop up from time to time.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:49 pm »
I just like saisons bottle conditioned. I normally brew 10 gallons of saison and bottle half.

Kegging can also be a total PIA with all the little issues that pop up from time to time.
Yeah, I mostly keg, but it is really frustrating to find a few gallons of beer at the bottom of the kegerator because of a leaky poppet or loose hose clamp. 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 05:43:37 am »

That certainly is true. The first kegs I bought were brand new ball-lock ones from a company I won't mention. Bought taps from the same company. Couldn't get gas in or beer out of them. Turns out these "new" kegs had universal poppet valves where the springs were too strong. Figured out what poppet valve to replace them with, and they work great now.

One of those kegs also had a batch of discoloration on the dip tube, several of my early beers had a harsh metallic flavor that I eventually traced to that dip tube. Replaced that, and no metallic flavors since.

I should mention I tried contacting the company several times, but they never helped me out. But I learned a lot about kegs, so I've got that going for me...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 05:56:54 am »
For most beers you can hands down say draft is better. The beer is simply preserved better. Also you can dial in co2 vol much better. for some beer an argument can be made for bottling. Easier to age (not taking up entire keg), wanted micro oxidation (barley wines where oxidation may be somewhat beneficial to aging), and higher co2 vol such as some belgian styles or hefe weizen.

If you are interested in getting into kegging: Do it. It is the best way to serve most beers. No argument there.

My thoughts, too. 
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 07:35:33 am »
I started kegging about 6 months after I started brewing, mostly because of convenience.  It's just easier.  Almost 20 years later, and I usually only bottle with a beer gun for competitions.  Every few years, I might bottle a batch the old fashioned way to remind myself why I don't bottle anymore.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:39:52 am »
Perhaps the irony is that with a kegging set up bottling is a lot easier and more sanitary and better results. Rack beer into a keg, add priming sugar. Purge head space with co2. Shake or roll keg to distribute sugar. Insert bottling wand firmly into the spout on the cobra tap (it fits perfectly) and bottle standing up via co2 pressure rather than hunkering down on the floor. Much faster, easier and better!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 07:40:41 am »
kegged from day one. i only bottle specific styles of beer-hefeweizens and similar.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: