Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Super cheap pH meter  (Read 7620 times)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Super cheap pH meter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 08:47:01 am »
So far so good, my cheap $20 meter is dang close to Brewers Friend calculator. Batch of Ofest was 5.49 with BF and the meter was 5.48.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:30 am »
I dug out the instructions to my pH meter and it indeed does indeed say store in 4. Which makes me wonder where I got to store in 7 or distilled water?? Oh well, thanks for the heads up. I will be buying some storage solution too.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »
PS: I really like the Milwaukee MW-101 and 102 meters because they use a double-junction, gel-filled probe that sure has provided years of life for me. That probe should always be stored in a KCl solution, not DI water or calibration solutions.

+1

I have owned several pH meters over the years, but the MW-101 is easily my favorite.  My probe lives in pH meter electrode storage solution.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:27 am »
Keith, I wrote about pH probe storage in a post on the Bru'n Water facebook page. It presents information direct from a major industrial pH equipment manufacturer and the recommendation is to use a potassium chloride storage solution.

There are manufacturers that recommend using distilled water to keep the bulb on their probe's moist, but that distilled water shouldn't be in contact with the bulb or it will osmotically draw the ions out of the probe's electrolyte. For that type of storage, you need to use just a couple of drops of distilled water in the probe cover and that creates the moist environment without the possibility of destroying the probe. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks