Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 14 Gallon Stainless Fermenters  (Read 1842 times)

Offline fletchydog

• 1st Kit
  • Do you know about Up Dog?
14 Gallon Stainless Fermenters
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »
Hello everyone-
This is my first post here, I joined the AHA back in January and I'm very happy I did.  Anywho- I reached out to Gary Glass this morning to make sure this was ok-
  (please note that I have no affiliation with the company sponsoring this Kickstart campaign)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958078058/chapman-homebrew-equipment-mash-tuns-fermenters-ke

They have 14 gallon stainless steel fermenters for $119 along with some other pretty solid stuff.  I hope that this is helpful to everyone and encourage you to check it out.

--I look forward to using he forums a more as I advance in my brewing.

thanks! 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 14 Gallon Stainless Fermenters
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »
I've been looking at their 20 gallon kettles. Not the right time for me, but the price is good and the quality appears to be good

Offline fletchydog

• 1st Kit
  • Do you know about Up Dog?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
This will be my leap into 10 gallon batches...so I'm excited and nervous at the same time-  I've always just used plastic fermenters but I keep hearing that you can scratch them and trap bacteria that effects your brew.  I've never seen a difference but some folks seem to swear by glass or stainless.  Hope it works out~

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:06 pm »
I looked at getting one of their stainless mash tuns... The let down was that they are foam insulated and cannot be directly heated.  So they are basically stainless coolers. :-/

I then was considering the 7 gallon fermenters... except they only come in 2 options 1) With a hole punched in it. 2) with a weldless fitting in said hole... Not meeting my sanitary needs. I would have picked one up with they came 'hole-less'
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline ChapmanEquipment

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »
I looked at getting one of their stainless mash tuns... The let down was that they are foam insulated and cannot be directly heated.  So they are basically stainless coolers. :-/

I then was considering the 7 gallon fermenters... except they only come in 2 options 1) With a hole punched in it. 2) with a weldless fitting in said hole... Not meeting my sanitary needs. I would have picked one up with they came 'hole-less'

We hear you on that.

For the mash tun, we were unable to modify it to be heated. We plan on designing one as our next project, because a directly heat-able insulated mash tun looks to be in high demand.

Also, I understand why you wouldn't want to take the time to sanitize the ball valve, as disassembling and placing it in boiling water can be fairly time consuming. So if everything is going smoothly during production, we will be asking the manufacturer to leave some of the fermenters without a hole punch. But since it's close to the end of the Kickstarter campaign, we don't want to make any promises that we can't guarantee 100 percent.

So if we reach our goal, and all goes well, we can let you know this summer about any options for a port-less fermenter.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:01 pm »
Heh yeah I get it.  I wad in live with the man tun until you told me it couldn't be direct heated.  An insulated vessel I could use as a cooler but also direct heat if I wanted would be my dream mash tun :)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:47 am »
Heh yeah I get it.  I wad in live with the man tun until you told me it couldn't be direct heated.  An insulated vessel I could use as a cooler but also direct heat if I wanted would be my dream mash tun :)

man tun..hmmm my wife might buy one of these and stick me in it when she's mad  ;D  kinda replaces the "dog house"
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:35:31 am »
Stewed wort hog. 
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:01:56 am »
I've been looking for a stainless steel insulated mash tun or cooler for a long time.  I can't believe it hasn't been done before this.  So I'm on board with a 15 gal. MT.  Anticipated September shipping will be just in time for the next cold season!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »
I've been looking for a stainless steel insulated mash tun or cooler for a long time.  I can't believe it hasn't been done before this.

Me too.  I actually posted about it here a few months ago wondering why they only seemed to be available in Europe.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ChapmanEquipment

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 09:58:00 pm »
I've been looking for a stainless steel insulated mash tun or cooler for a long time.  I can't believe it hasn't been done before this.

Me too.  I actually posted about it here a few months ago wondering why they only seemed to be available in Europe.

Yeah, we couldn't believe it hadn't been done before either. But we were in a good position to make something happen. So we had to do it ourselves. It's a lot of work organizing the whole thing from the ground up, but it looks like it's coming together smoothly.

I imagine over the next two years, we will see a few different companies introducing their own type of insulated stainless steel mash tun as well. I say, the more options the better.