Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st time pitching Brett  (Read 2960 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: 1st time pitching Brett
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:04:26 pm »
I can wait a couple months, I can't wait a couple years to bottle, that's the problem.  We currently rent and potentially could be moving this summer, plus I only have 2 fermenters at the moment.
Then see where you're at in a couple months. Keeping it at room temp may help

cptnpenguin

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 04:07:59 pm »
I'm in LA so that won't be a problem. Brewing stuff this summer should be interesting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 08:17:37 am »
I wouldn't expect brett to reach terminal gravity in a couple months on 1.012 in most beers. WLP568 is known for stalling early for no apparent reason (and not just winding down very slowly like WY3724) so you may have a lot of otherwise fermentable sugars that brett can chew up quickly.

Check where the gravity is in a couple months. Check a week apart to see if there is continued fermentation and how quickly it is proceeding. If it is in the low single digits then you are probably alright to bottle normally but anything higher should either go into thick bottles or should get bottled with an adjusted volume of priming sugar and allowed to age in bottles until it has reached a terminal gravity and carbonated.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

cptnpenguin

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
Could I also not use any priming sugar? I'd still get some carbonation wouldn't i?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 12:06:38 pm »
Could I also not use any priming sugar? I'd still get some carbonation wouldn't i?

Yes and some pro sours are done this way. You need high pressure bottles like belgians with corks n cages, and you have to know from experience precisely what gravity the beer will stop at. Trouble is you have no way of knowing that. If you bottle too soon its dangerous, if you bottle too late its flat.

cptnpenguin

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 12:12:07 pm »
To further complicate things, I just saw White Labs said that they discovered that the WLP644 is actually saccharomyces and not brett.  oh boy