Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Type of DME for yeast starter?  (Read 9856 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Type of DME for yeast starter?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:01 am »
The only thing about malt extract for starters that is important is to use unhopped extracts.
Say what?

I'm just curious because starter instructions I've seen from older books called for hops, presumably to ward off bacteria. I just assumed that was abandoned due to the cost and the fact that good sanitation made it unnecessary.

Now the thinking is hop resins can prohibit cell budding to some point.
Good to know!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »
I'm with Bengelbrau.  When my wort is cooled, I decant the bottom of the pot into several pitchers, place them in the refrigerator and save the top wort.  Everything else settles to the bottom.  I freeze the wort in pint or qt containers and never run out for starters.  If my wort is 1.048 I add 50% water to make it 1.024 when it's time to make my starter.  Why spend money on expensive DME.

BV

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:46 pm »
Now the thinking is hop resins can prohibit cell budding to some point.

Who in the world made this claim?  I have seen no published data that supports the claim.  In fact, the claim is illogical.  If hop resin prevented yeast cells from budding in starter wort, it would prevent yeast cells from budding in beer wort.   The cells would have to become coated to a point where they are unable to pass nutrients and waste products through their cell walls.  We are talking about a high IBU rating.   It's game over if that happens during a fermentation.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:22:43 am by S. cerevisiae »