Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2015 First Round Results  (Read 20838 times)

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
Re: NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »
I got a beer gun 4 or so years ago and haven't looked back. Easy to use and zero issues with infection.
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2015, 01:51:38 pm »
I got a beer gun 4 or so years ago and haven't looked back. Easy to use and zero issues with infection.

Same here. That was a good investment.
Jon H.

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »
Hopefully the San Diego results are released by close of business, otherwise I don't see them released before Monday. It's been almost 2 weeks since the end of the competition, kind of ridiculous...
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2015, 03:06:05 pm »
For whatever it's worth, I've bottled close to 40 competition entries straight out of my perlicks without picking up any noticeable contamination.

I did recently purchase a beer gun to bottle 10 gallons for a friend's wedding though.  I was pretty impressed with it and may use it to bottle my round 2 entry.  Though maybe changing my routine at this point is bad luck?

If the results for Saint Louis had come out even one week later than they did, it would have been very difficult for me to rebrew.  That was just poor planning on my part though, and I happened to get lucky.  I don't think I have much chance of placing in the finals, but it makes for two months of nice daydreaming.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »
Hopefully the San Diego results are released by close of business, otherwise I don't see them released before Monday. It's been almost 2 weeks since the end of the competition, kind of ridiculous...

Why are they pushing the re-brew envelope with the host city?  If someone from SD places and needs to brew up the batch before comp, and they choose to bottle condition as that is how they won in the first place on one of their styles, we have very little time to do so.  All the other cities actually have an advantage in this case.  I do beer gun as well as bottle condition, but I would like to submit to style, so gotta figure in conditioning if that's what beer progresses.  I now see why a lot of my fellow local SD homebrewers actually sent out to other cities - I would think smaller the entry venue, quicker the results.  Not sure why else it would take longer to process.
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2015, 04:15:47 pm »
San Diego is up.

My Irish Red took 3rd
- Charles

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »
San Diego is up.

My Irish Red took 3rd

Way to go Charles!
Wish I could repay the visit this June, but I need to save my Euros for Austria, Germany and Belgium in September. 

Yes, please cry me a river :)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »

Why are they pushing the re-brew envelope with the host city?  If someone from SD places and needs to brew up the batch before comp, and they choose to bottle condition as that is how they won in the first place on one of their styles, we have very little time to do so.  All the other cities actually have an advantage in this case.  I do beer gun as well as bottle condition, but I would like to submit to style, so gotta figure in conditioning if that's what beer progresses.  I now see why a lot of my fellow local SD homebrewers actually sent out to other cities - I would think smaller the entry venue, quicker the results.  Not sure why else it would take longer to process.

Unfortunately if you are truly serious about trying to take a national medal, then you really should just plan on re-brewing your entries regardless if you know if you made it through or not.  It does kind of suck, but if it ensures a better chance at placing then that is what must be done. 

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2015, 04:31:19 pm »
Thanks Steve,  I'll be up your way in August and September
- Charles

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:03 am »

Would the beer gun work with Sanke valves?  I have sixtels.
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2015, 07:04:11 am »

Never tried it with a Sanke.  I'd think as long as you use the Sanke connector/QDs that there wouldn't be a difference. Really all you're doing is sending the liquid out line to the beer gun instead of your tap.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:35 am »

Never tried it with a Sanke.  I'd think as long as you use the Sanke connector/QDs that there wouldn't be a difference. Really all you're doing is sending the liquid out line to the beer gun instead of your tap.

I'm sure I can figure it out.  SOLD!!!!!
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:49 am »

I'm sure I can figure it out.  SOLD!!!!!

It's a really nice piece of equipment. Gives you a lot of flexibility. Keeps comp beers in better condition than filling through the tap, and I like the option of bottling a partial keg to make room to put something else on tap. Win-win !

EDIT  -  BTW my LHBS has a nice, easy video on using one.  Scroll down to find it :

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/blichmann-beergun-bottle-filler/beergun-and-accessories
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:18:38 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2015, 08:44:58 am »
That was very helpful, thanks Jon.  I'll even buy it from your LHBS.  I think I'll just need a wing nut to attach to the sanke coupler and I should be good to go. 
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:48 am »
That was very helpful, thanks Jon.  I'll even buy it from your LHBS.  I think I'll just need a wing nut to attach to the sanke coupler and I should be good to go. 

Awesome, you'll love it.
Jon H.