Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2015 First Round Results  (Read 20836 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »
I believe if it is co-brewed, just the one entry.  I think it's the honor system if you co-brew and enter the same beer under each brewer name as two entries. I hope that doesn't happen often.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:31 pm »
I believe if it is co-brewed, just the one entry.  I think it's the honor system if you co-brew and enter the same beer under each brewer name as two entries. I hope that doesn't happen often.

I'd guess that they both entered the same beer, then. Honest mistake. And that makes it pretty much impossible to place a 3rd since the minibos is over and that wouldn't have been recorded.
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »
Just got my sheets.  Once again, the beers I filled off the tap got infected.  I guess I need to learn my lesson this time.  Two years in a row I lost 3 beers!   >:(

At least my Steam Beer got through which was the only one I bottled from the start.   :)

Dave

Hmmm... Time to check what you're doing when you bottle off the tap.  I sanitize EVERYTHING and use a new picnic tap if I'm bottling for competition.

I only spayed the Perlik inside and out with StarSan.  I need a better process for sure.  Next year I clean the lines and tap and flush with sanitizer.

I've been doing the same thing and never put 2+2 together. Usually I bust out the beer gun, or at least a picnic tap, but there are times I get lazy and use the faucet. Never again.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2015, 06:35:11 am »
is the can't enter same beer twice thing new?  I mean, if Hop Fu can take first and second in San Diego in '14 and '13...

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2015, 07:45:48 am »
is the can't enter same beer twice thing new?  I mean, if Hop Fu can take first and second in San Diego in '14 and '13...
I also wonder how they would treat the same wort treated differently.  I've actually brewed a 20 gallon batch and split with a couple of guys and then we fermented with different yeasts and dry hopping.  I didn't even think about it when they entered it.  Of course, that was a local comp and not NHC.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:54 am »
To me entering 2 entries from the same batch is pretty lame... Entering 2 beers from the same mash/boil is fine by me as long as everything else down the line was by different people/temps/locations/yeasts/dry hops/whatever.  To me those would be 2 distinct beers flavor wise... at least in my experience.

EDIT:  Maybe that's a better metric... If they smell/taste the same... don't enter them both.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:17 am »

Those are two different years, two different competitions. This is the same beer entered twice, in the same region/competition.
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2015, 08:32:11 am »

Those are two different years, two different competitions. This is the same beer entered twice, in the same region/competition.

*shrug* - that's not the way the Zymurgy article from last year reads, and I do see he finished first and second last year - first round results from '13 not available online.  *edit* - yes, they are.
He took first and second both years.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:33:55 am by udubdawg »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:38 am »
Were they 2 different beers entered in 2 different sub styles? It looks like he took first and second from 2 different sub styles, but was it the same beer? I have no idea. Is it ethical or right to enter the same beer under 2 different categories? I have seen people on the forum suggest it if its close to both styles, not sure if that is kosher for same main style...
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:09 am »
Entrants may only submit one entry per subcategory. For categories that have no subcategories (Categories 20 and 23), you may only submit one entry. An entrant may be an Additional Brewer for a different entry in a subcategory they have already entered as the main brewer (e.g. John Doe enters an American Pale Ale, Category 10A, and is also the Additional Brewer on an American Pale Ale submitted by Jane Smith).

That's from the rules. It seems that if you want to submit the same pale ale to both American Pale Ale and American Amber Ale - it's good, and there is a lot of overlap in the style guide.

As for the team thing - I would give them the benefit of doubt and hope that they just made a mistake. Janis caught it in her audit of the results and did the right thing. It is a shame it wasn't caught by the site director so that one of the entries didn't advance to BoS.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2015, 12:18:20 pm »
Entrants may only submit one entry per subcategory. For categories that have no subcategories (Categories 20 and 23), you may only submit one entry. An entrant may be an Additional Brewer for a different entry in a subcategory they have already entered as the main brewer (e.g. John Doe enters an American Pale Ale, Category 10A, and is also the Additional Brewer on an American Pale Ale submitted by Jane Smith).

That's from the rules. It seems that if you want to submit the same pale ale to both American Pale Ale and American Amber Ale - it's good, and there is a lot of overlap in the style guide.

As for the team thing - I would give them the benefit of doubt and hope that they just made a mistake. Janis caught it in her audit of the results and did the right thing. It is a shame it wasn't caught by the site director so that one of the entries didn't advance to BoS.
...That's one way to interpret that rule... I would read that rule as you can only enter 1 beer per subcategory where you are the primary brewer.  If someone else enters a beer in that same subcategory with you as the secondary brewer it's ok.  I don't interpret it saying anything about entering the same beer in multiple subcategories...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »

...That's one way to interpret that rule... I would read that rule as you can only enter 1 beer per subcategory where you are the primary brewer.  If someone else enters a beer in that same subcategory with you as the secondary brewer it's ok.  I don't interpret it saying anything about entering the same beer in multiple subcategories...

It's one way to game the system, that. But I'd also say that it's kind of a waste in the end just to say you got it through to the second round. More interesting are instances of multiple regions...
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »
Too bad they cant call whoever was 4th place and tell them they're in.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
Too bad they cant call whoever was 4th place and tell them they're in.

That's the biggest problem

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:53 pm »
Scores & Mini-BOS are now posted for Chicago.

The Berliner Weisse scored 40.5 and now gets a little extra time to age.  It was brewed in December so that'll put it closer to 6 months by the time it reaches San Diego.  The Altbier advanced with a get-me-over 35.  Whew.  It was a Hail Mary entry that I knew I'd have to rebrew.  My Kolsch made mini-BOS but is staying home. 

Hey, I'll take it!  :P