Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2015 First Round Results  (Read 20694 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »
Gratz!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2015, 06:42:17 am »
I did a quick tally of points from the first round for Quaff and The Brewing Network and it looks like Quaff is ahead by 6 points for COTY.  This was done early morning so I can vouch for the accuracy of the numbers. 

The BN lost about 10 points due to the 12 point per category rule and Quaff lost 2.  Looks like it could be a close one for COTY again this year.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline munk24

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2015, 09:59:05 am »
Entrants may only submit one entry per subcategory. For categories that have no subcategories (Categories 20 and 23), you may only submit one entry. An entrant may be an Additional Brewer for a different entry in a subcategory they have already entered as the main brewer (e.g. John Doe enters an American Pale Ale, Category 10A, and is also the Additional Brewer on an American Pale Ale submitted by Jane Smith).

That's from the rules. It seems that if you want to submit the same pale ale to both American Pale Ale and American Amber Ale - it's good, and there is a lot of overlap in the style guide.

As for the team thing - I would give them the benefit of doubt and hope that they just made a mistake. Janis caught it in her audit of the results and did the right thing. It is a shame it wasn't caught by the site director so that one of the entries didn't advance to BoS.

As a site director, I dont know how (a)/the site director would have caught this.  As soon as bottles come in they are logged and become anonymous,  When we record scores into the system, it comes from a score summary sheet with just the entry number.  Score sheets are coming in fast and furious.  It was a couple days later when I went into the system and matched numbers with names for a winners sheet for "my' benefit.  When I send the scores into Janis and AHA, it is by entry number and not name.  Just to be clear, it was not my region where this happened.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2015, 07:21:44 am »
None of my beers made it, but my Bochet is advancing. Eric Lowe of Meridian Hive was judging - so really proud of that!

Matt - congrats on your medal, nice work!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:56 am »
Thanks! I am really thrilled about it! Was more thrilled to meet so many brewing heroes! Oh and my club mate Mark Schoppe... Ninkasi #2! Just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2015, 10:00:46 am »
Thanks! I am really thrilled about it! Was more thrilled to meet so many brewing heroes! Oh and my club mate Mark Schoppe... Ninkasi #2! Just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't see Gordon after the banquet, I was going to ask him if he hears footsteps.

Good to meet you. Those medals are things one should be proud of. Congratulations, I gave out a cheer for you.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2015, 11:51:54 am »
Well done Matt on your NHC medal! Very cool.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:25 am »
I didn't see Gordon after the banquet, I was going to ask him if he hears footsteps.
Especially impressive considering the more recent entry limit rules.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2015, 01:03:38 pm »
Especially impressive considering the more recent entry limit rules.
The 3 consecutive will stand.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2015, 06:21:33 pm »
With the relatively new entry restrictions, it would be fun to see the creation of a new award. Tripple Cown! Medaling in all three groups, Beer Mead and Cider. Not a one winner only thing, but anyone who wins a medal in all three gets a Tripple Crown. With only 4 entries allowed, that would be a heck of a feat. Maybe even more impressive than Ninkasi.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »
I like that idea Jim, sounds like a helluva challenge!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2015, 11:03:59 pm »
It could make a brewer think, huh? If you had 3 solid beers and a solid mead, do you go fir ninkasi?. Or do you drop a beer and enter your best cider and go for Triple Crown?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:54 am »
It could make a brewer think, huh? If you had 3 solid beers and a solid mead, do you go fir ninkasi?. Or do you drop a beer and enter your best cider and go for Triple Crown?

You will have to leave that one up to American Pharoah I guess.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2015, 08:52:24 am »
With the relatively new entry restrictions, it would be fun to see the creation of a new award. Tripple Cown! Medaling in all three groups, Beer Mead and Cider. Not a one winner only thing, but anyone who wins a medal in all three gets a Tripple Crown. With only 4 entries allowed, that would be a heck of a feat. Maybe even more impressive than Ninkasi.

AmandaK will confirm that at the banquet I said "my goal for next year is to win all 4 "Major Awards" and get booed louder than The Brewing Network for hogging all the awards"   ;D

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2015, 09:23:57 am »

AmandaK will confirm that at the banquet I said "my goal for next year is to win all 4 "Major Awards" and get booed louder than The Brewing Network for hogging all the awards"   ;D

If you beat me in the cider category for KCBM next year...I'll boo you ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------