Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calculating/predicting parti-gyle densities and resulting brews  (Read 6147 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Calculating/predicting parti-gyle densities and resulting brews
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »
I'm a single malt fan and a peat-smoked-malt-in-beer hater. 
Actually I have judged a Scotch/Scottish Ale or two that had just a threshold hint of peat and thought that it added a bit of complexity, but I doubt it was more than just a touch (2 or 3% of the grain bill).  It could have come from the yeast for all I know.  That's the thing about judging a competition - you never really know exactly what was in that beer.  Unless it's a bunch of peat smoked malt.  That's pretty definitive and not very tasty to my pallet.

Yeah, it's tough to judge beer and liquor character on a level playing field. Makes me think of the definition of a true bourbon - has to be north of 51% corn IIRC. I love a good bourbon, but I don't especially want a beer made with 51% + corn. Apples and oranges.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:01 pm »
I tried Dark Island. I know, right? Makes me pretty special. But anyway, I didn't get any peat or smoke or peat smoke in it. Seemed pretty good without it. But im easy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:05:18 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 04:07:59 pm »
I tried Dark Island. I know, right? Makes me pretty special. But anyway, I didn't get any peat or smoke or peat smoke in it. Seemed pretty good without it.

Yeah, same here. Great beer BTW. Funny how the Scottish beers (at least the ones we can get here) don't seem to have it - Belhaven, MacAndrews, McEwans, Caledonian, etc.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 05:52:19 pm »
Stone's Smoked Porter has peat malt listed in the recipe in their book…I can't comment on the beer as I've never had it though.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 05:56:30 am »
Stone's Smoked Porter has peat malt listed in the recipe in their book…I can't comment on the beer as I've never had it though.
They use low phenolic pleated malt from Simpsons IIRC. The phenolics are still too high for me in that beer. I prefer the Alaskan Smoked Porter.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 06:13:49 am »
They use low phenolic pleated malt from Simpsons IIRC.

That at least makes sense.  I actually like Stone's Smoked Porter, but I'm sure I wouldn't if it had typical peated malt character.  But I prefer the Alaskan, too.
Jon H.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 03:40:34 am »
Update on the peat (since we're off-track anyway): 11% of lightly peated whisky malt hardly showed up in the 1.090SG wort. It may still come through as the whole thing matures, which I for one wouldn't mind.

I realise peat is a polarising flavour, leading people to either diss it completely, or go nuts with it. Siding with the latter camp, one of my next projects will definitely be an all-out 100% peat brew. With Islay-oak. Hah!

Turns out there's quite a bit of variability in the peated malts, and few producers actually note the ppm on the packaging. Bhat being said: err on the side of caution if you're not sure you like peat in beer. If you know you do, go for it. Make it waft.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote