Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smuttynose Hayseed  (Read 2733 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Smuttynose Hayseed
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 05:56:21 pm »

What's a White Labs equivalent of that yeast? My LHBS only carries White Labs and I like to get it there because I know it'll be fresh.

To my knowledge, there is no WL equivalent. If you'd rather not order it online (I often don't), you could use Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast which a lot of LHBS carry. My understanding is that it's likely the same strain.
Doing some reading on the White Labs webpage. Found they have 3-4 different saison yeasts. Not all are available year round though. I like the sound of this one:
WLP585 Belgian Saison yeast III; Produces beer with a high fruit ester characteristic, as well as some slight tartness. Finishes slightly malty, which balances out the esters. Also produces low levels of clovey phenolics. Great yeast choice for a summer Saison that is light and easy-drinking.
Sounds exactly like what I was going for. Only problem is I don't think it's available year round. They have a couple others that might work though. Have to put a little thought into it and also check with my LHBS and see what they have or can get. Being close to San Diego the shop gets fresh yeast in every Thursday.

I hear you. White Labs 565 might be a good option - it's one of the Dupont strains and is year round, I believe. And it's easier to use (less prone to stalling) than WY3724, which is tricky. I don't suggest it often, but I'd try to ferment it at the high end of it's suggested temp range for 2-3 days, then slowly ramp up (2 degrees/day) to the low 80s until FG. This one makes a great beer. Again, Belle Saison dry is a good, easy option, too.

EDIT - For saisons, especially with the Dupont strains, you'll have better results with extra oxygenation and extra yeast nutrient by a lot of accounts. Works for me.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp565-belgian-saison-i-yeast
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:03:50 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Smuttynose Hayseed
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 08:18:13 am »

What's a White Labs equivalent of that yeast? My LHBS only carries White Labs and I like to get it there because I know it'll be fresh.

To my knowledge, there is no WL equivalent. If you'd rather not order it online (I often don't), you could use Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast which a lot of LHBS carry. My understanding is that it's likely the same strain.
Doing some reading on the White Labs webpage. Found they have 3-4 different saison yeasts. Not all are available year round though. I like the sound of this one:
WLP585 Belgian Saison yeast III; Produces beer with a high fruit ester characteristic, as well as some slight tartness. Finishes slightly malty, which balances out the esters. Also produces low levels of clovey phenolics. Great yeast choice for a summer Saison that is light and easy-drinking.
Sounds exactly like what I was going for. Only problem is I don't think it's available year round. They have a couple others that might work though. Have to put a little thought into it and also check with my LHBS and see what they have or can get. Being close to San Diego the shop gets fresh yeast in every Thursday.

According to their website (http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp585-belgian-saison-iii-yeast) this strain is available July-September.

I was looking to try this in my next saison, which will have to wait until later this summer.
Ralph R.