Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing bottles on their side  (Read 7647 times)

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
Storing bottles on their side
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:09:36 pm »
A couple of weeks ago, I bottled my first batch of wine.  It is a Chardonnay.  The instructions call for storing the bottles on their side but this is an awkward way to store them and it takes up a lot of floor space.  How important is this?
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Storing bottles on their side
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:12:41 am »
Not much of a wine guy but I thought it was to keep the cork wet.  Otherwise it would dry out and crumble when you go to open it.  Not sure if it's true but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:54 am »
Not much of a wine guy but I thought it was to keep the cork wet.  Otherwise it would dry out and crumble when you go to open it.  Not sure if it's true but it sounds good, doesn't it?

My understanding also if they are all natural corks.

I don't believe this applies to composite and artificial stoppers.

I use composite and store upright. Some are several years old and have never noticed a problem.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:18:34 am »
Not much of a wine guy but I thought it was to keep the cork wet.  Otherwise it would dry out and crumble when you go to open it.  Not sure if it's true but it sounds good, doesn't it?

I use Grolsch bottles.  No corks.  I can store them upright.  I get three glasses/bottle.  That's two for me and one for the wife.  It keeps her happy & doesn't let her get mean.   ::)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:52:27 am »
  If you are having to buy bottles the screw tops are always and option.

I know there are two camps on the cork vs screw top argument but if you look around there have been some test and I don't think there is any difference in short term (less than 5 year) storage.

You are probably like me though, just reuse what some else gives you.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 pm »
I use Grolsch bottles.  No corks.  I can store them upright.  I get three glasses/bottle.  That's two for me and one for the wife.  It keeps her happy & doesn't let her get mean.   ::)

I only get 2 or 3 glasses out of a regular bottle, Grolsch is single serving size.
I don't think about laying down, or standing up and I haven't had a bottle go bad on me either way, my basement has humidity and is always in the mid sixties so maybe that has something to do with it. I recently bought a rack so everything will be laid down - even screwtops.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 07:51:53 am »
For natural corks you should store them on their sides, you don't want the bottom of the cork to dry out.

For artificial corks (the rubbery type) you should store them upright. These corks I find have a tendancy to leak if stored on their sides.

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:19 pm »
I just keep my wine in cases, stored upright. I have a couple cases that are 2+ years old, no problems with corks drying out.

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:16:33 pm »
I just keep my wine in cases, stored upright. I have a couple cases that are 2+ years old, no problems with corks drying out.

It sounds like I might have some time then.  I figure that in a year they will be all consumed so we'll see about storing them on their sides.  Thanks for all of the responses.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:38 am »
If it becomes a regular thing you ferment then you could always build a winerack.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:24 am »
what about inverting cork in the cases?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:39 am »
For the first three days the bottles should be stored upright to set the cork, then inverted on their side to keep the cork wet and prevent excessive oxidation.
Ron Price

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:16 am »
For the first three days the bottles should be stored upright to set the cork, then inverted on their side to keep the cork wet and prevent excessive oxidation.

Duhhhhoooo!

I just bottled my first batch of wine (9 cases) on Sunday.  I put them all (except the screw-tops) on their sides. ???
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:34 am »

Duhhhhoooo!

I just bottled my first batch of wine (9 cases) on Sunday.  I put them all (except the screw-tops) on their sides. ???

You're only doing that in case the compressed air pushes the cork back out of the bottle. There's no other magic going on as far as I know of. So, keep an eye on your bottles and make sure the corks are not creeping out - otherwise you may get leaks.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 11:14:10 am »
Zombie alert! Arise old thread! I command you!

Good info here.

Anyway, is there anything wrong with using beer bottles and crown caps instead of wine bottles and corks? I'd much rather open up 12 oz of wine than a 750ml.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis