Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water to grain ratio for mashing  (Read 12467 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: water to grain ratio for mashing
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 01:09:32 pm »
I go anywhere from 0.9 qt/lb with like a barleywine when I sparge a ton and boil longer, up to 2 qt/lb with a lighter beer.  Average is anywhere from 1.3 to 1.8 qt/lb for "normal" strength beers.  For the most part, it really just doesn't matter much.  It doesn't directly impact efficiency or attenuation or body or anything else you can think of.  At least not until the biggest beers like barleywine, where at that point you might want to sparge as much of the sugars out as possible to keep your efficiency up.  Maybe.  Up to you.

Mash ratio just really doesn't matter all that much in my experience.  Huge gravity beers might be the only real exception, IF you care about sparging and boiling longer to maximize efficiency.  Or take the hit.

I guess I'm starting to repeat myself.  I'll say it again... no, I don't need to.  Seriously though...

Mash ratio really doesn't matter.  Play with it and see for yourself.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:41 pm »
I mash anywhere fom 1.5 -2 qts/lb for most beers.
Jon H.

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 07:16:34 pm »
I'm kinda new to this, and was researching the same question.  One factor I failed to take into account is what is my mash tun (kettle) has a false bottom.  From what I gather you are suppose to treat the liquid under the false bottle as if it were not there, when it comes to water to grain ratio, is that good gouge?
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...