Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to reyeast for bottle conditioning  (Read 1250 times)

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
When to reyeast for bottle conditioning
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:36:15 am »
I have an Imperial IPA that I am about to bottle and I wanted to ask if it is necessary to add additional dry yeast to make sure it carbonates properly.  Here is some more info about the beer: 

Yeast: repitched slurry of wlp001
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.008
ABV: 7.6%

If it was 9 or 10% abv I think I would definitely add more yeast, as that has worked well for me in the past.  But I was curious what others thought at a slightly lower abv.  Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: When to reyeast for bottle conditioning
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:44:10 am »
I have an Imperial IPA that I am about to bottle and I wanted to ask if it is necessary to add additional dry yeast to make sure it carbonates properly.  Here is some more info about the beer: 

Yeast: repitched slurry of wlp001
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.008
ABV: 7.6%

If it was 9 or 10% abv I think I would definitely add more yeast, as that has worked well for me in the past.  But I was curious what others thought at a slightly lower abv.  Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with a beer of that OG.  No worries !
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:46:20 am »
I would only worry if the beer had bulk aged for a very long time allowing too much yeast to settle out. And even then most lagers don't need it, so we're probably talking about many months of aging. I wouldn't worry about abv until it gets over 10%.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:57:31 am »
Yep, that gravity is not even close to where I would add conditioning yeast. I only do it with high gravity beers that I have racked into a secondary and aged for a couple months.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.