Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about a beer I made.  (Read 1446 times)

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
Question about a beer I made.
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:34:40 am »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why one of my beers went south. The recipe is as follows:

2.5 Gal Batch

7.55 lbs 2 Row
.64 lbs C40
.31 lbs Cara-Pils
.2 lbs Wheat, Flaked
.5 oz Columbus at 60 min
.5 oz Columbus at 15 min
1 oz of Columbus at 5 min
1 Packet Nottingham Yeast

I let ferment for 2 weeks then racked on top of 2.5 lbs of mango for 2 weeks. After that I racked to keg and let carb 1 week.

So the samples off the keg were great! Then I bottled it off the keg with the beer gun for friends. Everyone enjoyed it. Then after about two weeks in the bottle it turned. It was really sweet and tasted like green apples. Can anyone help?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:53:31 am by john.flanagin »

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
Re: Question about a beer I made.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:31 pm »
I cant give you a definitive answer, but the description of green apple always points me back to Acetaldehyde.  Acetaldehyde is caused by under pitching, under oxygenating, or removing the beer from the yeast cake too early.

Seems strange that the flavor would not develop until a couple weeks in the bottle.  I guess it may have already been present, but was not noticeable until the Mango had mellowed some.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »
Acetaldehyde can also be formed after packaging by the oxidation of alcohol. With a beer gun its less likely, but not impossible, that you introduced oxygen during bottling.

Acetaldehyde can also be caused by bacterial contamination - It's a step on the formation of acetic acid from alcohol. Although acetobacter also requires oxygen.

It could also be ethyl acetate, which is similarly fruity and leaves a sweet impression - especially the aroma. Ethyl acetate is also caused by bacterial contamination.

Is it present in the beer that's still in the keg?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:54 pm »
When I bottled off the keg I bottled all of it.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »
That is a monster of a beer.
Run then beer.

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:54 am »
Yes. It came in at around 9%. My thoughts were that I didn't have enough hop additions at the beginning of the boil to combat the robust malty profile of this beer.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:10:35 am »
Perhaps, but sweetness due to lack of hops should have been noticed when you bottled and should not have changed in the bottle. It also would have been a malty sweetness, not a fruity sweetness. It's too bad we can't taste it ourselves. And I was hoping you had some left in the keg to compare.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:06 am »
I plan to make it again. However I think I might leave the Mangos out this time.

Offline sprider1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »
Hard to say  without tasting the beer. That being said I vote  contamination  from the fruit.I  would send a few bottles in to  next contest and  let a  developed palate  taste  it  ,and see on  the score sheet  what  the   problem  was.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:07:42 am »
I put cherries on my beer one time...never again.

How many bottles did you taste? If only 1 or 2, perhaps they could be dirty bottles?