Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun Problem  (Read 3914 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Mash Tun Problem
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 07:21:12 pm »

I mentioned recently in a post that I hear a cracking sound in mine after spraying out with cool water after using. I'm sure over time a crack will show up.

rubbermaid?
yup

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 01:46:26 pm »

Is there a possible fix for it or should I purchase an Igloo brand? 

I had this problem several years ago.  It took me a long time to figure out what it was.  In my case the bulge only clogged the false bottom while it was hot, but worked fine at cool temps.  Anyway the way I fixed it was to pull the white inner lining away from the outer orange layer and shove my mash paddle down inbetween.  The air in the bottom burped out.  The white lining is more flexible while it is at mash temps. And the weight of the mash pushed out the air.  It's still a risk, it might crack.  After doing this many times, my cooler bottom warped back and I don't have that problem anymore (knock on wood.)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 04:55:51 pm »
I think I will just pick up the yellow and red one to be safe. Couple extra bucks for peace of mind.

Offline mxrob

• 1st Kit
  • StoneHouse Brewer
    • StoneHouse Brewery
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 07:54:00 am »
We started out with a 5 gallon Igloo Maxcold mash tun due to our extremely cold garage in the winter. Since then we've moved into the basement on a completely different system.... but our original Igloo was used for a lot of batches (2 years worth of brewing at least every other weekend). We have a very small bulge about dead middle on the wall inside. Still completely usable. Plastic material has to expand when heated and it is a lot easier for it to go inwards than outwards towards the supporting insulation. Makes sense the larger 10 gallon units would suffer a bit more in this regard.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:07:01 am by mxrob »

Offline sprider1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 02:53:07 pm »
I have had them bulge on the sides  but not bottom--Been useing a  10 gallon GOTT  now  last  100 plus  batches,,no  bulging