Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing today; Project Grape Ape is live  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
Re: Brewing today; Project Grape Ape is live
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »
I live in So Cal also. In addition to my wort chiller I use a pre-chiller.  Williams brewing used to have em, but could only find them on rebel brewer now.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 05:54:02 pm »

I live in So Cal also. In addition to my wort chiller I use a pre-chiller.  Williams brewing used to have em, but could only find them on rebel brewer now.
Thanks. I just ordered a little sub-pump and some hose to hook up a recirc system with my immersion chiller. I'm gonna use ground water through it until I fill up an ice chest then hook up the pump hose and run that as a recirculating system. My biggest thing is water conservation. I use the run off on my veggies and citrus trees but anymore than 10-15 gallons and I feel supremely wasteful.

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
Nice. I do the same with all my run off water. Fill buckets , plastic jugs, whatever I can use. Times are tough in Cali so gotta do our best to help out and not be wasteful.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 06:05:14 pm »

Nice. I do the same with all my run off water. Fill buckets , plastic jugs, whatever I can use. Times are tough in Cali so gotta do our best to help out and not be wasteful.
Absolutely!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »

Thanks. I just ordered a little sub-pump and some hose to hook up a recirc system with my immersion chiller. I'm gonna use ground water through it until I fill up an ice chest then hook up the pump hose and run that as a recirculating system. My biggest thing is water conservation. I use the run off on my veggies and citrus trees but anymore than 10-15 gallons and I feel supremely wasteful.
My routine for the past three years has been to fill buckets with chilling water. I stop chilling when I run out of buckets. I use the hotter buckets for cleaning and the later buckets for laundry. This only works with top load machines. Someday I will use it to water a garden, but first I need a garden.

I've brewed at a buddies house where I dropped my sump pump into his pool. That worked very well and I could let it run for as long as I wanted.

I also use a prechiller during the summer. I add the ice after filling three buckets. I use that bucket as extra thermalmass in my ferm freezer.

The drought is so crazy. I remember when it was dangerous to float the rivers down stream from the dams due to being at capacity.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 05:48:00 pm »
Tested two days ago and then again today. Same numbers. I'm reading this as 1.008. Anyone else care to take a stab at it?
Gonna zest and cut up the grapefruit now and add that along with the dry hops tonight.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:33 pm »
Time to dry hop and add the zest and flesh of the grapefruits... Would that be dry zest? .
1.8oz Citra 13.3%, 1.7oz Cascade 6.8%, and 5.0oz of grapefruit zest. Took the zest off with a veggie peeler then chopped it up smaller. Hoping the extra surface area will help infuse it.