Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Thickness  (Read 2751 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Mash Thickness
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:53 pm »
The base malt may be a factor.

80% 2 row, 15% rye, 5% melanoidin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 09:50:14 pm »
mash in, single insusion, it should convert and be fine, not too much rye.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 08:36:51 am »
I have not been able to see any difference between 152 and 150 in terms of fermentability of the wort.
Yeah, I don't see literally only a couple of degrees making a huge difference, but I find a lot of people that shoot for 152 actually try to hit 154 and assume a degree or two loss over mash time.  That's one tweak I 'recently' did with my Scotch ale.  Dropped from the 153-154 range to more like 148-149 and extended the mash time significantly.  Made a fairly significant difference.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 08:46:47 am »
I have not been able to see any difference between 152 and 150 in terms of fermentability of the wort. It's worth further study but I just don't get enough effect to bother worrying about a couple of degrees here or there. North american malts are so highly enzymaticly active that they will just chew through starch regardless of mash temp (within reason). I've gone to three zones: very low (148 or so) for big beers, middle range (155 or so) for 'normal' beers, and very high (162+) for small beers or beers that I want a lot of body in. You pretty much have to get out of the beta amylase temp range altogether to see much increase in FG in my experience. I think water chemistry plays a bigger roll in mouthfeel and impression of crispness/maltiness than mash temp.

I agree with all of this. To me, 145-149F mash temp is noticeably lighter bodied/better attenuated, above 160F is noticeably higher in FG/mouthfeel, in between very little difference. Agreed as well on the role of water chemistry on perception of mouthfeel or dryness.
Jon H.