Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast starters and calmer fermentation  (Read 1284 times)

Offline wellifiwasme

• 1st Kit
yeast starters and calmer fermentation
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:42:22 pm »
I have recently started doing yeast starters for my brews, I have done 6 including  the two fermenting right now since i started doing them, the wort starts to noticeably ferment very quickly (a matter of hours) and the 4 i have so far tasted have no off flavors, but my fermentation's seem less vigorous, (i would like to point out at this time i am not complaining, just curious) I have less blow offs and the rolling of things inside of the carboy seem less active. It seems to me that pitching a good quantity of healthy yeast should make it more active not less. Has anyone else experienced this? Am i just doing something terribly wrong and getting lucky that I'm not having any bad outcomes?

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
Re: yeast starters and calmer fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »
There are a number of things that factor into this, but if you have active fermentation you're off to a good start.  You can log you observations and temps for now to reference down the road.  Out on the curious side as to your yeast strain, OG and estimated FG are? 
Run then beer.

Offline wellifiwasme

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »
I am not with my notes at the moment so i dont remember all of the OG and estimated FG. but i know that
I had one that was lallemand danstar nottingham yeast with an og of 1.078 and an estimated fg of 1.025 and it came out very close to that (it was 1.026) as far as strains i have also used Wyeast irish ale yeast and safale english ale yeast, i can provide the other gravity's at a later date if you would like to know

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:13 am »
Have you also recently gotten better control of your fermentation temps? or perhaps begun pitching cooler? the big factors in the amount of krausen and overall volum eof fermentation activity to me are pitching temp, pitching rate, and fermentation temp. Then comes grist composition (wheat will always make for much more krausen than non-wheat recipes, same with ry eor flaked barley) and yeast choice (wheat beer yeast also tend to be really foamy)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:54:31 am »
I've heard that yeast with high attenuation and/or high flocculation properties play a role in how violent fermentation is, would this not be the case here? Or is it the ferm temp that combines with the aforementioned properties? I've used nottingham in my browns and its blown my airlock off everytime..

Also, first post here, so hello everyone!   ;D
Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:52 am »
I've heard that yeast with high attenuation and/or high flocculation properties play a role in how violent fermentation is, would this not be the case here? Or is it the ferm temp that combines with the aforementioned properties? I've used nottingham in my browns and its blown my airlock off everytime..

Also, first post here, so hello everyone!   ;D

some top cropping strains can make a big mess because there is so much yeast at the top of the krausen. I'd not heard a correclation between high floc or high attenuation and krausen volume
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline wellifiwasme

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
Have you also recently gotten better control of your fermentation temps? or perhaps begun pitching cooler? the big factors in the amount of krausen and overall volum eof fermentation activity to me are pitching temp, pitching rate, and fermentation temp. Then comes grist composition (wheat will always make for much more krausen than non-wheat recipes, same with ry eor flaked barley) and yeast choice (wheat beer yeast also tend to be really foamy)

I have not changed any of the temperature controls of my fermentation I ferment in a closet that is in the center of my house, it stays in the 60-70 range pretty much all year round... during the hottest part of summer if we are not running our air conditioner i ferment in the basement. since i have started using starters my recipe's have had little to no wheat, rye, or flaked barley in them though so that could be a part of it. I am a fan of rye so often use that, especially in lighter styles. the only yeast i have recently used for the first time was the irish ale wyeast.