Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A question regarding Munich and wheat beers  (Read 2484 times)

Offline rckymtnskibum

• 1st Kit
A question regarding Munich and wheat beers
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:22 am »
Good morning everyone!
I am diving back into wheat beers this summer, and I am currently building the version 1 recipe. I was wondering what everyone thought about adding a bit (~5%) of Munich malt into my recipe. It was suggested to me but I'm unsure. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: A question regarding Munich and wheat beers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:20 am »
Sure, you can add Munich to just about any beer. It will enhance the fullness and maltiness of the beer. At 5% you will get minimal color contributions.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:55:24 am »
I love adding munich to recipes. It's kind of my version of adding crystal malt. I haven't added it to a hefe but I add a bit to my wit beer and a bit to most other recipes. I say go for it. Then tell us what you think!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:26:53 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:00:38 am »
I love adding munich to recipes. It's kind of my version of adding crystal malt.

^^^^  Same here.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:37 am »
I love adding munich to recipes. It's kind of my version of adding crystal malt.

^^^^  Same here.
+2 - I use either Munich or Aromatic in a lot of beers to turn up the volume on the malt a bit. 5-10% of Munich in a hefe sounds reasonable.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:14:44 pm »
+3 A little Munich is sort of a secret ingredient to give it a little more complexity sans sweetness without sacrifice of too much attenuation.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline rckymtnskibum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:36 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate all the help. I know it may be bad form but I also wanted to get your thoughts on WYeast 3638 for wheats?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:06:41 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate all the help. I know it may be bad form but I also wanted to get your thoughts on WYeast 3638 for wheats?
I love it. It is my go-to hefe strain. It gives some sweet spice (hints of vanilla/sweet cinnamon), along with the usual banana/clove. Don't overpitch and ferment around 66F for a balanced clove/banana character. Higher temps give more banana and lower temps tend to mute the flavor profile.
Eric B.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »
I love it. It is my go-to hefe strain. It gives some sweet spice (hints of vanilla/sweet cinnamon), along with the usual banana/clove. Don't overpitch and ferment around 66F for a balanced clove/banana character. Higher temps give more banana and lower temps tend to mute the flavor profile.
+1, that's exactly where I ferment it as well for the balanced flavor profile
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline rckymtnskibum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:33:37 pm »
What rate would you consider to be overpitching? With the predicted OG I normally go one smack pack. Is this too much, too little, or just right? Should I ask goldilocks? Just kidding thanks for the help!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:12 pm »
What rate would you consider to be overpitching? With the predicted OG I normally go one smack pack. Is this too much, too little, or just right? Should I ask goldilocks? Just kidding thanks for the help!
For a 5-gallon batch at around 1.050 OG, I pitch one smack pack with no starter. That's a little under what the yeast calculators recommend, but I'm happy with the results.
Eric B.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:52 am »
For a 5-gallon batch at around 1.050 OG, I pitch one smack pack with no starter. That's a little under what the yeast calculators recommend, but I'm happy with the results.
\

Big "depends" here. Better make sure you yeast is super fresh. If it is even half way to the exp date you would be better off "waking it up" with a starter.

On my German wheat beers I prefer the results (more balanced clove/banana as opposed to heavily leaning banana) so I pitch at 58 degrees and use a starter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:11:49 am by majorvices »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:40 am »
I have tried brewing a 50% Munich malt/50% wheat malt ale with a neutral yeast on a couple of occasions, and have been pleased with the results.  But its more of a cold weather beer, at least for my taste (I brew them for consumption around Christmas).

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 11:04:53 am »
Is everyone aware that a Dunkelweizen is typically composed of at least 50% wheat malt and the remainder is Munich malt (with maybe a touch of Carafa for color)?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:19 am »
Well, I am, but I don't like to use funky German wheat beer yeasts in mine, so I call it Munich wheat.  I suppose I could call it American dunkelweizen,  but that seems a little gimmicky (kind of like India pale lager).  8)