Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A question regarding Munich and wheat beers  (Read 2477 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Re: A question regarding Munich and wheat beers
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 11:58:51 am »
When I did one of my american wheats, I think I did
40% 2 row
40% wheat
10% Vienna
10% Munich

It turned out good if you're looking for that bready flavor

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:10 am »
Is everyone aware that a Dunkelweizen is typically composed of at least 50% wheat malt and the remainder is Munich malt (with maybe a touch of Carafa for color)?

Yes, that crossed my mind at the beginning of this post but I assumed he was just talking about a small percentage in a standard hefewezien. I also like to use dark wheat in my dunkels weizen.

Offline rckymtnskibum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:20 am »
Is everyone aware that a Dunkelweizen is typically composed of at least 50% wheat malt and the remainder is Munich malt (with maybe a touch of Carafa for color)?

Yes, that crossed my mind at the beginning of this post but I assumed he was just talking about a small percentage in a standard hefewezien. I also like to use dark wheat in my dunkels weizen.
I forgot about the Dunkel. I might have to make one of those as well this summer/fall. I really appreciate all the knowledge.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:08 am »

I forgot about the Dunkel. I might have to make one of those as well this summer/fall. I really appreciate all the knowledge.
Dunkelweizen is a great fall beer. It's also a good base for a spiced beer if you want to do something a bit different. Vanilla and cinnamon are really nice additions if you don't overdo it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer