Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post Final Gravity  (Read 1166 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Post Final Gravity
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »
Is there any benefit whatsoever in keeping a beer in fermentation post-final gravity?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Post Final Gravity
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:19:06 pm »
A beer can reach final gravity and the yeast may still have cleaning up to do. Converting sugar to alcohol isnt all they do.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »
Kind of depends on the beer and its complexity or the need to condition and mellow. In general I'll leave a beer a few days after fg just to get a schedule going and then simply crash it cold to prepare for keg or bottle.

If you're dry hopping it then obviously you would do that at fg or a tad before YMMV, I wait for fg before dry hop additions.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:22:25 pm »
Kind of depends on the beer and its complexity or the need to condition and mellow. In general I'll leave a beer a few days after fg just to get a schedule going and then simply crash it cold to prepare for keg or bottle.

If you're dry hopping it then obviously you would do that at fg or a tad before YMMV, I wait for fg before dry hop additions.

Yeah, I realize that now. Not a huge deal, but figured my beer may go another day or two past my three-day planned dry hopping.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:27:12 pm »
+1 to the above. With my work/family schedule it's not uncommon for a beer to sit in primary for 3 weeks. It's not needed necessarily, but all I know is my beers never, ever have diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc. So the yeast are getting ample time to clean up and drop out (most strains) before I keg. As for dry hopping an extra couple days past 3 days, no worries.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »

Yeah, I realize that now. Not a huge deal, but figured my beer may go another day or two past my three-day planned dry hopping.
No big deal, I like to dry hop 5-7 days usually, sometimes though plans change....I'm usually not disappointed:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:23:24 am »
Its usually a good thing to leave it a little longer. Its one of the few times my laziness pays off.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.