Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jocky box?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Jocky box?
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:12 pm »
Looking for info tips tricks on everything and anything you about them, best set up (only doing one tap for now), coil vs cold plate, length of coil,  length of line to jocky box,  best place to buy parts to build one,  like I said all info is helpful thanks guys. 

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: Jocky box?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:43:42 pm »
Not a traditional jockey box, but some good ideas for an easy build on a different forum thread at:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77879

Mine from that thread as shown on the last page, I use quite a bit and it works great.

The caulk/adhesive I used to seal the cut hole into my cooler has remained 100% rock solid adhered and waterproof.

Just some ideas...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:48:34 pm by brewsumore »

Online smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:50:33 pm »
This is a write-up of our club's jockey box build from a bunch of years ago.  It uses a 4-circuit cold plate.

http://home.comcast.net/~midnighthomebrewers/jockey_box.htm

Since this write-up, we have replaced the cooler.  This time we ran all of the beer supply lines out through one side of the box instead of the rear, as it is more convenient to hook the kegs up that way while the box is sitting on a table.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:17:46 pm »
Alright so the wife surprised me and looks like we are buying a pre built one from AIH anyone have tips or advice when using it at an indoor event.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »
Alright so the wife surprised me and looks like we are buying a pre built one from AIH anyone have tips or advice when using it at an indoor event.

1. test it out at home in advance of the event... it will save you time and major disaster of something going wrong when setting up for the event.
2. they are notorious for lots of foamy pours, try to get the pressure right on your tank, around 15-18 psi should help keep the foam down if still foamy increase pressure slowly.
3. hook up all the beer etc... and put the ice in LAST! also only put in enough ice to chill the beer you don't want a ton of ice sitting on the coils and the beer resting in the coils or plate and getting "super chilled" which will cause even more foam and maybe even freeze the line.
4. clean it immediately after using it using beer line cleaner and sanitizer... otherwise you're looking at a germ fest!

have fun!
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 03:59:04 pm »
I have a plate chiller one, so maybe not completely analogous, but I have to get the pressure up between 18 and 20 psi to get a good pour. It also helps a ton if the beer you are pouring is already cold, and try to keep it from getting too warm throughout the event. At the very least keep it in the shade, but ideally a small bucket with some ice in it will help on a hot day. I've heard the coiled jockey boxes are more efficient at transferring the heat, so maybe it won't matter for you.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:08 am »
Sweet was planing on doing a few pours at home to get it set figured I will take a 5 gal bucket se the keg in it and ice it at the event to help. 

Do you want an even amount of ice to water in the cooler or is more Ice less water better? 

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:19:01 am »

Came yesterday and got the keg sparkling and sanitized loaded it up with beer chilled in the freezer ( was cold crashing for 6 days so helped). Force carbed sitting in a swamp cooler now till the event

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:37:09 pm »
Buddy made me a cover and got our logo water jetted out

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:40:30 am »
Buddy made me a cover and got our logo water jetted out

Have fun with it
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:46:28 am »

1. test it out at home in advance of the event... it will save you time and major disaster of something going wrong when setting up for the event.
2. they are notorious for lots of foamy pours, try to get the pressure right on your tank, around 15-18 psi should help keep the foam down if still foamy increase pressure slowly.
3. hook up all the beer etc... and put the ice in LAST! also only put in enough ice to chill the beer you don't want a ton of ice sitting on the coils and the beer resting in the coils or plate and getting "super chilled" which will cause even more foam and maybe even freeze the line.
4. clean it immediately after using it using beer line cleaner and sanitizer... otherwise you're looking at a germ fest!

have fun!
+1

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 04:25:42 am »
Poured for the first time yesterday had a few foaming hick ups but once we got it set was pretty good

And brought home 1st place in people's choice

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 01:06:03 pm »
Poured for the first time yesterday had a few foaming hick ups but once we got it set was pretty good

And brought home 1st place in people's choice

congrats!  ;D
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com