Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel  (Read 16623 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 09:04:45 am »
We had this at Moerlein Lager House on the River in Cincinnati. They had a lot of photos from the Burger brewery they acquired the rights to. I snapped shots of a couple I thought might be interesting:
And in reality, the text below the photo is really the interesting part

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 09:11:35 am »
Guess I'll have to work harder to dig up my recipe that tastes like it without low oxygen brewing.  I mist have gotten lucky I guess.

Enter snarky response..... Come on man.

Sorry, really didn't intend that.  It was a sincere comment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 11:18:44 am »
I would love the recipe.
And I guarantee it will be brewed low oxygen. ;)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »
Beerery where's the recipe? My next batch will be a dunkel

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 03:35:38 pm »
We had this at Moerlein Lager House on the River in Cincinnati. They had a lot of photos from the Burger brewery they acquired the rights to. I snapped shots of a couple I thought might be interesting:
And in reality, the text below the photo is really the interesting part

When I lived in Cincinnati, mostly in the 70's, I used to do side by side tastings of local, regional and imported beers.  Burger, surprisingly, came out on top a couple of times.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
It is being made and distributed here locally again. Moerlein has about 30 something brands under it's umbrella, all old school classic Cincinnati brews, but does not brew all of them. There is Burger, Hudepohl, Little Kings, to start with, so at least 1 that used to be good

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:12 pm »
That's a cool pic and caption, Frank. Never had it.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »
Thanks Jon, just 1 of about 2 dozen or so. It was like being in a brewing museum

Frank L.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 05:09:02 pm »
Please don't allow this to come across snarky, as it isn't at all.

Ayinger is a low oxygen brewhouse, and the flavors you taste in this Dunkel are because of the low oxygen brew process. The recipe formulation is different for low oxygen brews, as hot and cold side O2 make malts taste more bland but also more sweet. So I can give you the recipe, but unless you make it low oxygen it will not taste the same, so I don't want to waste your time with a brewing a beer that will not turn out as you want it if you don't want me to.
Very cool, didn't know they were low o2.  I'm incorporating what I can, when I can, starting with cold side and working backward.  Would love to see your grain bill on this. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

The Beerery

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:57 pm »
Off the top of my head it's something like....

80% Munich, they use a custom Munich so I blend light and dark at 50/50.  14% pilsner, again the use a custom pilsner malt but use what you got just make sure it's not super light. 5% caramunich II and 1% carafa II ( regular old carafa) and sinamar to 15srm or about.  21ibu noble at 60 min.  Soft boil, 60 minutes. FYI on our site under resources we have an excel doc with quite a few hints as recipes along with a ton of documentation.   

Oh and before you say hey that's only 4 malts.... sinamar is considered a malt, that's why it's RHG compliant. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:42:46 pm by The Beerery »

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks so much.
If I might, one question on the malt. If one only has 'super light' pilsner malt, would you recommend blending with, or just subbing the 14% with pale ale?

The Beerery

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 08:05:25 pm »
Thanks so much.
If I might, one question on the malt. If one only has 'super light' pilsner malt, would you recommend blending with, or just subbing the 14% with pale ale?
Sure.  If you have something like Heidelberg, or Weyermann extra light, firstly throw it away, then get some good stuff.

But yea. If you want. The pils is not really the star of the show here but beer is the sum of all parts. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 08:17:04 pm »
Off the top of my head it's something like....

80% Munich, they use a custom Munich so I blend light and dark at 50/50.  14% pilsner, again the use a custom pilsner malt but use what you got just make sure it's not super light. 5% caramunich II and 1% carafa II ( regular old carafa) and sinamar to 15srm or about.  21ibu noble at 60 min.  Soft boil, 60 minutes. FYI on our site under resources we have an excel doc with quite a few hints as recipes along with a ton of documentation.   

Oh and before you say hey that's only 4 malts.... sinamar is considered a malt, that's why it's RHG compliant. 

That sort of matches what the guide said at the display of ingredients, he talked of Pils, Munich, Caramunich and Farbe malt, the blend changes for the beer. Oh, wheat Malt for Wheat beers. Can't remember anything about Sinamar, but you never get much about its use in a brewery. Sometimes you see a couple of 5L containers of it - like at Russian River.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

The Beerery

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
Yea kind of like how Paulaner uses sinamar in the America version of their märzen, because "Americans like a darker beer"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 05:57:42 am »
Thanks for posting, Bryan. That's pretty similar to the dunkels I brewed a few months back, exept I need to work more dark Munich into the mix.
Jon H.