Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gotlandsdricka-saison-ish hybrid  (Read 4040 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Gotlandsdricka-saison-ish hybrid
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
Thx Tex. As you can read somewhere waaay up, Garett replied to my inquiry with the (almost entire) recipe for Viking Metal.

Mine's borrowed a few things from that, but is not a clone.

Brew update: lively krausen, nice airlock activity. Yes, storing yeast cake really is as simple as, well, storing the yeast cake in a bottle in the fridge. Very much alive after 6 months.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 01:53:44 am »
Update.

Racked to secondary. Beer was 1.012 and still lightly fermenting so "secondary" is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Pitched a vial of L. delbrueckii (WLP677).

Sample tasted smoky and quite "authentic"(*), with the smoke pairing off nicely against the rye and the juniper. Still had a very raw yeast bite in the middle, but that's to be expected with a beer this young. Although I'm told Gotlandsdricka is normally drank straight from the fermentor (à la sahti), I'm guessing they don't do that when it's fermented with 3771 :)

*) there's no way I can actually verify the authenticity of my brew but I can tell you it compares favourably with some brews I've tasted by Närke, so I reckon it's got enough of a Norse viking thing going on to be considered at least halfway authentic.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 09:05:09 am »
Bottled this at last. Didn't want to take any chances with the Lacto. Crystal clear, smokey with a dash of peat. Lovely with a twist of lemon.

Carbed to 2.2 volumes and a bit of Safbrew F-2 bottling yeast.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 03:12:07 am »
Follow up.

Bottling introduced a haze, which, while not unattractive, is a bit of disappointment to me, having seen the crystal-clear pale blond hue of the beer as it left secondary.

Carbonation is mild, which imparts a soft, smooth mouthfeel. More carb would have made the smoke become too harsh, I think.

As it is now, it's decidedly smokey beer, with some phenolics from the peat and juniper, but hugely drinkable, provided you enjoy smoke, peat and juniper in your beer.

Thus far, zero tasters have spat it out whilst cursing my penchant for peat malt.

Lovely beer, which I'll definitely brew again.

Only thing I'll probably leave out next time is the Lacto. Not picking that up at all. I reckon the poor critters never really had a chance.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote