Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch-sparged duo: Wee Heavy - Sour Deflowered  (Read 3026 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Batch-sparged duo: Wee Heavy - Sour Deflowered
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 02:20:25 am »
Follow-up.

The peated Scottish gruit is neither very peaty, nor very gruity, and hardly Scottish. Turning out more like something Närke would come up with if they combined their "rustic Viking farm brew" approach to a mildly smoked imperial stout.
The mugwort impart a very interesting bitterness which I certainly will try to bring out more assertively in future brews. The other herbs seems to be blending in nicely; nothing jumps out but at the same time, it's clear this is not just any beer.
Hardly any peat at all so either my threshold is quite high (something I know to be true for other polarising flavours) or else this lightly peated malt really is a kitten.

Black Sour Something is souring nicely. Had a bit of an E-coli smell after a week but that cleared up. It's turning mildly sour, like a Flemish red. I added some oak chips (boiled for sanitation) and bunged it in the cellar where it will slumber for many months to come.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Batch-sparged duo: Wee Heavy - Sour Deflowered
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 03:23:31 am »
Follow up.

The Scottish gruit thing is all gone now. Interesting brew, which turned into an odd herbal stout-ish brew as time passed and the stash dwindled. Too much carb, in spite of low dosage of priming sugar. Not sure what happened there, but the beer was okay and interesting in spite of this.

The second runnings turned into very serviceable Flemish Oud Bruin sort of beer. I added raspberries and frozen pitted cherries for about 8 months.
Very dark, almost black, with reddish highlights and a pinkish head.
Very sour, with acetic acid noticeably present. Think single-foeder FOB à la Rodenbach Vintage in terms of sourness.
Very enjoyable. Uncarbed, the dark roast interfered a bit with the sourness and the fruit, but with mild carb, this turned into a lovely sour.
Since it was no longer black, I re-named to Old Sock's Legacy, in honor of the master of sours himself.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote