Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: good hop to pair with sterling  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
good hop to pair with sterling
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:18 am »
I am doing a series of APAs that feature two hop varieties. Any input on what would pair well with sterling which I have never used? I am afraid that certain hops like simcoe, mosaic, citra, etc would just dominate it. I was thinking something more traditional like Centennial or Amarillo might work but any random suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:42:46 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: good hop to pair with sterling
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:44:23 am »
Styrian Goldings.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:54 am »
I've used Sterling only in Lagers.  If you use any of the traditional APA hops, I think it's going to be overpowered.  Styrian would be interesting.  Maybe Crystal or a little Northern Brewer.

Dave 
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:52:00 am »
It depends on what you're going for.  Sterling is a Saaz offshoot with spicy noble-type character, so it would pair well with other American noble-type offshoots like Crystal, Mt Hood, or Liberty.  Or since you're making APA, you could try it with something like a mid AA/mid intensity hop like Mandarina Bavaria, Cascade, Azacca, or Ahtanum (to name a few). I would definitely NOT blend it with something strong like Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic, etc., or the Sterling would get lost.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:39 am »
Also depends on how you are using it.  Bittering, flavor, aroma or a combo with the pairing?
Dave Zach

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
I don't know what I am really going for haha...just experimenting. My original thought was crystal since I have some and have never used them either. Depending on what I use, I realize that it won't have that normal 'apa' character which is fine with me...

I will be using them for 30 min hopstand below 170F and dry hop only. Bittering will come from equal amounts of Simcoe (FWH) and Magnum (60 min). My first attempt is finishing up with Jarrylo and Zythos (blend). I plan to keep everything the same for future attempts but switch out the 2 late hop varieties. This is assuming that I am satisfied with the first attempt...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:00:46 am by goschman »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:04:12 am »
Mmmmm.... I really like the Goldings idea. That sounds good.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:16 am »
Mmmmm.... I really like the Goldings idea. That sounds good.

+1 I have used it with Mandarina Bavaria as well, and that was quite tasty.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:29 am »
I realize that it won't have that normal 'apa' character which is fine with me...

Don't worry about that - I've made many APAs and IPAs blended with Mt Hood, a Hallertau offshoot, with good results. Remember too, that blending doesn't have to mean 50/50 - use more Sterling than the other one (if it's a stronger one).
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
I realize that it won't have that normal 'apa' character which is fine with me...

Don't worry about that - I've made many APAs and IPAs blended with Mt Hood, a Hallertau offshoot, with good results. Remember too, that blending doesn't have to mean 50/50 - use more Sterling than the other one (if it's a stronger one).

Yeah that's a good point. My hop skills are lacking thus I have abandoned my normal APA recipe to start experimenting more.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:56:53 am »

Yeah that's a good point. My hop skills are lacking thus I have abandoned my normal APA recipe to start experimenting more.

That's what it's all about.  Enjoy the process!
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »

That's what it's all about.  Enjoy the process!

+1
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »
I haven't used it yet, but a Motueka/Sterling combo is next on my list for hoppy brews. Both of them are Saaz derivatives, and both get fruity at higher late hopping rates. Sterling gets some lemonade character, and Motueka is lime zest and lemongrass. Even though they're both noble-type hops, they both get fruity when you use big late additions.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 01:58:27 pm »
I haven't used it yet, but a Motueka/Sterling combo is next on my list for hoppy brews. Both of them are Saaz derivatives, and both get fruity at higher late hopping rates. Sterling gets some lemonade character, and Motueka is lime zest and lemongrass. Even though they're both noble-type hops, they both get fruity when you use big late additions.

That's another great pairing suggestion.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 08:26:02 am »
You could pair sterling with any of the other domestic hops that emulate the noble hop character although it won't be as assertive or exotic of a flavor combination as some of the newer noble derivative hops will provide.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing