Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: good hop to pair with sterling  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: good hop to pair with sterling
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 10:18:48 am »
Alright well I think it is between Crystal and something that I use regularly like Cascade, Palisade, Amarillo, or Centennial.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:36 am »
I like sterling on it's own mostly, but I feel it does pair well with most of the C hops. Key is to have a light hand with the other hops. 2:1 or 3:1 ratio towards the end works well with Cascade or Centennial.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:59 am »
I like sterling on it's own mostly, but I feel it does pair well with most of the C hops. Key is to have a light hand with the other hops. 2:1 or 3:1 ratio towards the end works well with Cascade or Centennial.

Yep
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »
I recently made a dry stout with Sterling.  It tastes like a dry stout.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »
I haven't used it yet, but a Motueka/Sterling combo is next on my list for hoppy brews. Both of them are Saaz derivatives, and both get fruity at higher late hopping rates. Sterling gets some lemonade character, and Motueka is lime zest and lemongrass. Even though they're both noble-type hops, they both get fruity when you use big late additions.
What would be a big late addition?  I brew 6 gal. batches, mostly 1.040 to 1.060 lagers.  I'm still in the extract and steeped grain mode doing 20-30 minute 4 gal. boils.  Yesterday I brewed two batches.  One with 1.5 oz. of Chinook at boil start (30 min.).  The other with 1 oz. CTZ at start and 1 oz. of Sterling at 20 minutes.  Both got 1 oz. of Sterling at flame out.  Will the end beer of those get fruity?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »
I haven't used it yet, but a Motueka/Sterling combo is next on my list for hoppy brews. Both of them are Saaz derivatives, and both get fruity at higher late hopping rates. Sterling gets some lemonade character, and Motueka is lime zest and lemongrass. Even though they're both noble-type hops, they both get fruity when you use big late additions.
What would be a big late addition?  I brew 6 gal. batches, mostly 1.040 to 1.060 lagers.  I'm still in the extract and steeped grain mode doing 20-30 minute 4 gal. boils.  Yesterday I brewed two batches.  One with 1.5 oz. of Chinook at boil start (30 min.).  The other with 1 oz. CTZ at start and 1 oz. of Sterling at 20 minutes.  Both got 1 oz. of Sterling at flame out.  Will the end beer of those get fruity?
Probably not to a significant extent at that hopping rate. The times I've gotten a lot of fruit from Sterling, I've used about an ounce per gallon, with at least half being either a whirlpool or dry hop addition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:39 pm »
Thanks Eric.  I didn't want a fruity Pils.   :-[
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 08:08:48 am »
Thanks Eric.  I didn't want a fruity Pils.   :-[
I use an ounce at flameout in my Märzen recipe (3 gallon batch) and I don't get any fruit, just herbal/spicy noble hop character. It's not until you start treating it like an APA/IPA hop (whirlpool, dry hops, etc.) that you start to get much citrus out of it. And even then, the noble hop character is still the predominant flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:05 am »
I like Liberty with Sterling if you are going for a more noblesque thing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:49:39 pm »
Alright well I think it is between Crystal and something that I use regularly like Cascade, Palisade, Amarillo, or Centennial.
Use the Crystal.  Crystal is damn near becoming my favorite hop.  IPA? Throw some Crystal in.  Apa? Throw some Crystal in.  Pilsner?  Throw some Crystal in. 
I'm even using it in my next California Common; 50/50 with Northern Brewer.  It goes with everything.  Kinda boring on its own, though.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »
Use the Crystal.  Crystal is damn near becoming my favorite hop.  IPA? Throw some Crystal in.  Apa? Throw some Crystal in.  Pilsner?  Throw some Crystal in. 
I'm even using it in my next California Common; 50/50 with Northern Brewer.  It goes with everything.  Kinda boring on its own, though.

I put this beer on the back burner and decided to go with sterling and crystal in a light lager.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale