Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 1797 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Berlin
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:12 am »
We are traveling to Germany with some friends, and showing them Münich, Bamberg, Köln, and Düsseldorf. Those are old favorites, we have that covered.

Our friends have 8 days off of work and will return. We have another week, and will go to Berlin. We previously visited in 2002. Much has changed in the city. More has changed in the beer scene.

Have any of you been there recently? Information is appreciated, beer related or not.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Berlin
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:18:48 pm »
My wife and I will be in Berlin for 4 days in mid-May, then off to Prague and Vienna. When will you be there?

Dave Carpenter, the Zymurgy editor, lives in Berlin. I sent him an email and got a reply about breweries he recommends. I'll try to dig it up in the next few days and pass on his recommendations.

Ralph R.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:24 pm »
My wife and I will be in Berlin for 4 days in mid-May, then off to Prague and Vienna. When will you be there?

Dave Carpenter, the Zymurgy editor, lives in Berlin. I sent him an email and got a reply about breweries he recommends. I'll try to dig it up in the next few days and pass on his recommendations.
Mid/late August.

I was going to contact Dave for a meet up beer or three. Why I didn’t  Think to ask him first? He was notified by Gary Glass that I was looking for info (thanks Gary), but with the time difference, and that he is on vacation, some time may pass. I have plenty of time until our trip.

Berlin is such a dynamic city for Germany. The city has been remaking itself since the wall came down. The changes since my visit in 2002will be disorienting.

We spent time on Museum Island before, but construction had many closed. The Pergamon was open, and it was just WOW. The Humbolt University Nature Museum is world class if you are into minerals and fossils.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:15 pm »
Hey Jeff,

I sent you an email about Berlin. Did you get it?

Ralph R.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:21 pm »
Hey Jeff,

I sent you an email about Berlin. Did you get it?

Ralph, sorry I didn’t reply directly. I also got a reply from Dave Carpenter with what he sent you.

One thing you might want to do in Berlin is explore some of the Museums. The Humbolt Natur Museum is outstanding if you like fossils and minerals. Museum Insel is a gem. The Pergamon Museum is a must see if you like antiquities.

More modern history is the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. The English walking tours are really educational.

Walk through the Brandenburg gate. Go down Unter den Linden and see the high class shops and car dealerships. At the Bebelplatz square at Humbolt University find the glass over the art installation. Reflect on the amount of books that were burned there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebelplatz

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:13 am »
Thanks Jeff. I had been wondering since I have had some problems with my email.

Yes, plan on seeing some of the museums. I am taking a class in Europe since 1914 (audit, just for fun) and really want to see the glass on the ground where the books were burned. And the Brandenburg Gate is a must for me.

Ralph
Ralph R.

Offline DeeGood888

• 1st Kit
    • https://sonicesoap.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:14:15 am »
Berlin can boast with amazing beer, the best I ever tried.