Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder with Amarillo?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Pliny the Elder with Amarillo?
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:31:07 am »
Does anyone have a recent or updated Pliny the Elder clone with Amarillo?

Neither the MoreBeer kit or Zymurgy (Double IPA / Vinnie's PTE recipe) reference Amarillo; the website however does.

Based on interviews, Vinnie cited using hop extract for bittering and pelletized hops from the 30 minute through dry hop. I would like to know where and how much Amarillo do use.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Pliny the Elder with Amarillo?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:25:45 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:33:47 am »
This is a good starting point.
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/12/ipa-clone-series-pliny-elder.html

+1.  He's tinkered with it since, and his Pliny 3.0 is pretty darn close to what I remembered from trying it fresh at RR.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/pliny-elder-clone-30.html
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:39:37 am »

+1.  He's tinkered with it since, and his Pliny 3.0 is pretty darn close to what I remembered from trying it fresh at RR.

Thanks, I just knew he had done some tinkering and grabbed the first that I found.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:41:18 am »

Thanks, I just knew he had done some tinkering and grabbed the first that I found.

Actually, I like them all. They only get better by degrees, but 3.0 is really tasty.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:15 am »
I just had a pliny the other day at the pub but was unable to fully enjoy it because my palate had hop fatigue... :'(
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:37:59 am »
 Thanks guys.  I have brewed the original online recipe, and just ordered the hop extract, hops and US-05 to give the 3.0 a try.  Cheers.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 06:25:02 am »
Thanks guys.  I have brewed the original online recipe, and just ordered the hop extract, hops and US-05 to give the 3.0 a try.  Cheers.

You should post what you think after it's done.  It's tasty.
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:24:29 am »

Will do Jon.  There's a lot higher percentage of simcoe in this version.  You don't see me complaining.   ;D

As per my usual I'll brew 11 gal.  I ordered ingredients from YVH.  I still have another Imperial IPA on tap (Hop-Fu - 2014 NHC Gold for the category), but it's been a big hit and going fast.  I definitely commiserate with folks who have addictions, because I am definitely addicted to hoppy beers, so try to keep at least one in the rotation at all times, although not always an Impy.  Happy Easter everyone!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:26:14 am by brewsumore »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

Will do Jon.  There's a lot higher percentage of simcoe in this version.  You don't see me complaining.   ;D

As per my usual I'll brew 11 gal.  I ordered ingredients from YVH.  I still have another Imperial IPA on tap (Hop-Fu - 2014 NHC Gold for the category), but it's been a big hit and going fast.  I definitely commiserate with folks who have addictions, because I am definitely addicted to hoppy beers, so try to keep at least one in the rotation at all times, although not always an Impy.  Happy Easter everyone!

Yeah, I keep a hoppy style on one of my taps, too. Generally, one tap is a hoppy style, one a Belgian tap, leaving the other taps for whatever sounds good. I brew a lot of styles, but it's always nice to have a beer with big hop character on tap.
Jon H.

Offline Downtown Joe Brown

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:07:45 pm »
I've seen many recipes on bertus brewery that I'd like to try that use hop extract. I'm quite the novice (my next batch will only be my second all-grain, and third overall), so in the interest of keeping this basic, what kind of hop addition can I substitute for the extract?

Also...and this is something I'm usually just too embarrassed to ask...I'm interested in doing 3 or 4 gallon batches. If I see a recipe for a 12 gallon batch (or 5 gallon, or whatever the case may be), is it just a matter of using the corresponding ratios for the hops and malt bill (i.e., if its a 12 gallon batch, cut down everything by 1/3 for a 4 gallon batch)?

I'm just wondering if for any reason you have to make any other adjustments when scaling up/down.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »
From what I know, the only real issue in scaling up or down is in your evaporation rate from your boil kettle. When you have a larger volume of liquid in it, it will tend to evaporate less in terms of percentages, and therefore your boil off rate will have to be adjusted with experience. The rest of your ingredients should be able to scale linearly throughout the recipe
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:53 pm »
I'm just wondering if for any reason you have to make any other adjustments when scaling up/down.
On a homebrew scale, generally not needed.  It's typically when you scale up to commercial level that you start making adjustments since things like a real whirlpool affecting hop utilization or the differences in fermenter characteristics and volumes start to really come into play.  For scaling 12 to 4, you basically just linearly scale with minor adjustments to boil-off rate based on your equipment.

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:20:44 pm »
For Big Brew day I attempted a Pliny clone, I swapped Centennial for Nelson Sauvin also replaced Dextrose with Orange Blossom Honey.   It is perking away as I write this..
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:57 pm »
I posted the same question on HomeBrewTalk a few weeks back and struck gold ...

A fellow HBTer was on a Firestone Walker brewery tour when they were contract brewing PTE last October. He was able to take a photo of the actual 65 barrel PTE brew sheet.

Anyone interested?